The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter/NFI sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a HR/Administrative Assistant in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The HR/Administrative Assistant reports to the Area Manager.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ensure office reception is well managed, organized and attended to, at all times, receiving guests, directing them, as well as receiving and dispatching calls (i.e. seating, visibility, notice board, tidiness, , receive and dispatch faxes, mails, documents and reports as appropriate etc.)
- Ensure order and cleanliness of the office and guest house that will include both compounds
- Requisition, receive, record, distribute and maintain adequate inventory of office and guest house supplies and consumables
- Provide secretarial support such as typing, takings minutes, drafting letters, and translation of English or Hausa documents Update of employees’ personal files and database
- Prepare and file (soft and hard) all documents necessary for the administrative management of the national staff (leave days, sick leaves, overtimes etc).
- related to Administrative SOP’s and issues
- Fulfil any other related tasks that may be assigned by the SUPPORT Coordinator, or Area Manager
- Update the NRC MDG Staff List
- Follow up Rent/Travel allowance applications and tracking sheet.
- Supports all new staff in receiving necessary induction brief related to Administrative SOP’s and issues
- Assist in the administration of expat staff information relevant for visa and permit applications
- Focal point for venue booking, and guest house maintenance
- Experience from working as an HR/Admin Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word
- Must be able to work under pressure.
- Relevant experience in HR/Admin and knowledge in Microsoft Office and a computer spreadsheet.
- Excellent inter personal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Organised and a good planner and possess significant understanding of complex emergencies
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12month
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
- Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter and updated CV to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org The title of the position (HR/Admin. Assistant- Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for application is 25th March, 2016 (any application received after the deadline will not be considered).
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.