African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The principal objective of the Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division (GECL.1) is to provide legal support, advice, and services in connection with public sector transactions and project implementation for loans and grants for the African Development Bank (ADB), the African Development Fund (ADF), and other special vehicles such as trust funds, projects and programs. In addition, the Division provides legal assistance on operations policies and governance, environmental and procurement related matters as well as all aspects of the business of the Bank Group, including providing legal opinions, drafting all legal instruments required for the Bank’s activities, as well as representing the Bank in litigation internally and externally.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direction and supervision of the General Counsel, the Division Manager supervises, manages the work of the Counsels in the Division. He/she ensures the mentoring of staff under his/her supervision, the correct interpretation of, and compliance with the various Policy, Personnel, Procurement and Administrative Rules and Regulations of the Bank, as well as carries out the day-to-day administrative management of the Division. In this regard, he/she:
- Provides the technical leadership to Counsels delivering legal support to the public sector operations of the Bank Group.
- Assigns work in the Division among Counsels.
- Coordinates the work products of each Counsel with that of the operational and/or other complexes of the Bank.
- Reviews, supervises and comments on the project concept note as well as contributes to any legal section contained therein, and assist in the structuring of the project.
- Supervises and provides input on the project appraisal report, drafts Board resolutions, clears resolutions for onward transmission to the Board and participates in meetings of the Board of Directors (including any pre-Board consideration before the Operations Committee (OpsCom).
- Conceives, or reviews and oversees, the legal documentation, as well as other documentation depending on the nature of the project or programme and the type of financing.
- Oversees the active participation of Counsels in the Division in the negotiation of all matters pertaining to the legal documentation and other issues that may have legal implications or repercussions on sovereign operations.
- Takes the lead in reviewing the documentary evidence submitted towards fulfillment of the conditions precedent after the financing agreement has been agreed and signed, as well as supervises Counsels in regard to this task.
- Supervises the review of any demand for waivers or amendments (including ensuring that the internal procedures for approval of waivers and amendments are met) and the resolution of any issues that arise during implementation of sovereign operations.
- Interprets texts of the Bank concerning sovereign and other operations of the Bank.
- Ensures quality control as well as compliance with the Bank’s policies and procedures with respect to the provision of legal services in all aspects of the sovereign operations of the Bank.
- In consultation with the General Counsel, conceives and prepares the budget of the Division and controls the general administrative, strategic policy directions and orientations of the department.
- Provides legal advice and briefs to the General Counsel on matters to be addressed at the Senior Management Coordination Committee Meeting as well as Board Meetings.
- Handles certain legal issues of a complex and confidential nature in accordance with the instructions from the General Counsel and other Senior Management Staff of the Bank.
- Assures the quality control of the work of the Division from the technical, administrative and resources point of view, as well as establishes the priorities of the Division and resolves any conflicts that may arise among subordinates.
- Carries out such other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience in similar jobs, preferably in a Multilateral Development Bank.
- Combined specialization and expertise in the knowledge of the administrative set-up, organization and texts of the Bank.
- Seasoned knowledge in the current trend of developments and familiarity with international law, and related matters within the Bank and other international organizations.
- Strong skills in preparation of complex legal documents including briefs and confidential legal opinions, preparing certificates, leading the negotiation of complex projects and programmes and other transactions of a similar nature.
- Capacity to conceive and supervise the negotiation of complex legal documents of all manners and form that balances the standards and norms of outside parties with the unique requirements of the Bank.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, team building, inter-personal, writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
- High level skills in communication and negotiation as well as the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs of the General Counsel and Legal Services Department’s work programme.
- Competence in the use of technological Systems (preferably SAP) and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
To apply, visit AFDB Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale