Arik Air is a customer-focused airline that offers consistently outstanding services to both business and leisure travellers. We have earned a reputation for providing "the best care in the air". Industry experts have awarded us for delivering outstanding services. No airline does it in the unique Arik way.
Arik Air offers opportunities for employment in administrative, professional, technical and airline-specific disciplines, irrespective of the level or area of responsibility, each employee contributes to the growth and success of our airline. We believe that individuals score goals, but ultimately "the team wins the game".
The Executive Airline Chef will train and manage kitchen personnel and supervise/coordinate all related culinary activities; estimate food consumption and requisition or purchase food; select and develop recipes; standardize production recipes to ensure consistent quality; establish presentation technique and quality standards; plan and price menus; ensure proper equipment operation/maintenance; and ensure proper safety and sanitation in and of the various Arik Air kitchen facilities at the Pilot Compound.
Strong working relationships with various aspects of the Arik Air operation are key to the success of this role. Such relationships include but are not limited to:
- On-board Services Department – London
- Pilot Compound Management – Lagos
- Assembly Kitchen (located at Head Office) – Lagos
- Cabin Services – Lagos
Additionally, it is essential that the successful candidate be willing to work in a multi-cultural environment
The Executive Airline Chef may oversee special catering events and may also offer culinary instruction and/or demonstrate culinary techniques.
The Executive Airline Chef directly supervises kitchen personnel with responsibility for hiring, discipline, and performance reviews and all associated recommendations. Such duties and responsibilities pertain to the facilities located at the Pilot Compound in Lagos and others as may be assigned:
- Kitchen – Pilot Compound (Pilot Compound Guests / Economy Class food preparation and Domestic / Regional Business Class food preparation)
- Kitchen – Business Class (International Business Class food preparation)
The General Manager – Pilot Compound will have overall responsibility for the role however the reporting line is split per area of responsibility as outlined below:
- Responsibilities pertaining to food preparation / menu planning and selection / kitchen hygiene – to the In-Flight Catering Services Manager (London).
- Responsibilities pertaining to food purchasing / subordinate staff – to the General Manager – Pilot Compound (Lagos).
Base / Working Location:
The Executive Airline Chef will be based in Lagos and will reside at the Pilot Compound. The Executive Airline Chef will work on a rotational basis of 10 weeks on-duty (6 days a week) followed by 3 weeks of rotational leave.
There are two primary objectives of the Airline Chef:
- Ensure the effective management of all kitchens located at the Pilot Compound (Lagos).
- Ensure that customers – both internal (guests of the Pilot Compound) and external (customers on our flights) receive a high degree of customer service by ensuring that food is delivered and presented to company standards and to international standards at all times in both the Business Class and Economy Class cabins on all Arik Air services.
The Executive Airline Chef will be responsible for the smooth operation of facilities: (Hot kitchen / Cold Kitchen / Pastry Kitchen or Bakery) with emphasis on quality, presentation and hygiene/food safety within the guidelines of the standardized menus and provide employee training. The role will include key responsibilities such as:
- Directly supervise all chefs and production kitchen activities on a daily basis to ensure that developed products, processes and SOP’s are being adhered to as per prescribed documentations and specifications.
- Monitor regular standards of production to ensure highest level of quality.
- Monitor all aspects pertaining to the control of the Production’s food cost.
- Ensure high quality and creative food products.
- Participate in the drafting of concept ideas and menus for all special events and functions.
- Implement HACCP standards and ensure all standards are followed consistently.
- Ensure consistent on the job training session for culinary colleagues and promote health and safety.
- Manage all elements of department administration.
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by Management.
Qualifications / Education:
- The ideal candidate should have a professional kitchen apprenticeship or chefs training course and at least 5 years of service in an Airline Flight Kitchen, Cruise Line or mass production environment, in high quality establishments along with excellent food and production knowledge and skills.
- The ability to communicate well in English and a proven track record of preparation, presentation and food preservation knowledge is essential.
- Previous experience with cost control, demonstration cooking, menu development, and pricing and development of culinary team preferred.
With related experience, candidates must demonstrate:
- A proven track record.
- Confidence and talent with a wide range of cooking skills and techniques.
- Detailed knowledge of HACCP system and advanced hygiene management.
- A thorough understanding of portion control and cost management.
- A thorough understanding of supply chain and management.
- A thorough understanding of food production chain and management.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Process structured and pro-active mindset.
- Visible leadership skills with teamwork building strength.
- Possess a passion for food and an appreciation of international, African and traditional Nigerian flavors.
- Practical knowledge in MS office applications.
Knowledge & Competencies:
The ideal candidate will be creative, innovative and passionate about production technologies and food, be committed to work as team leader, to deliver amazing passenger experiences every time. You will demonstrate energy and enthusiasm at work, be ‘hands on’ and organized. You portray a strong, firm and fair effective leadership style and have proven the ability to work in a multicultural environment.
Required skills & qualifications
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills in the English language (both verbal and written).
- Problem solving and creative abilities.
- Sound planning and organization skills coupled with a methodical approach to work.
- Willing to face challenges with a positive attitude.
- Use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel and a proficiency level to enable the office holder to carry out all duties and responsibilities.
- Willing to face challenges with a positive attitude
Method of Application
To apply, send Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale