Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission, is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
KEY FUNCTIONS: The Community Engagement Coordinator will lead CIVIC’s efforts to mobilize communities across Northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region to strengthen community self-protection mechanisms, to create platforms for improved civilian-military relations, to conduct field research on civilian security issues, and to lead a regional Protection Network and related advocacy campaigns aimed at increasing the understanding and commitment to civilian protection and harm mitigation by all groups, including local government officials, security forces, self-defense groups, and Boko Haram.
- Work with SPM, Regional Program Manager, and Nigeria Program Officer to design, manage, and implement community programs in support of CIVIC’s Nigeria program;
- Travel regularly (with CIVIC staff and alone) across northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region (Chad, Cameroon, and Niger) to mobilize support for CIVIC’s work;
- Build strong relations with local officials, community-based and civil society organizations and like-minded INGOs;
- Conduct assessments and convene local roundtable discussions to inform policy, practice, and training recommendations for diverse stakeholders to improve civilian protection;
- Build strong working relationships with civil society actors across the Lake Chad Basin region (including in Chad, Niger, and Cameroon) in order to create a regional Protection Network for increased community coordination and local capacity building;
- Support research and drafting of publications (reports, briefing papers, etc) and advocacy materials discussing CIVIC’s Nigeria work;
- Represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize, manage, and implement projects in unstable environments;
- Deep knowledge of Nigeria & the Lake Chad Basin region including related to humanitarian and security issues;
- In depth understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Ability to network extensively and build partnerships with community leaders and civil society organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Effective in participatory facilitation, community organizing, advocacy, and leadership development;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere;
- Willingness and experience working with security forces and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces; and
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, African studies, or related area; MA, MS, or JD preferred;
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant full-time staff level work experience required, including work in active and recently active conflict zones and experience in community engagement, training, field research, advocacy, and project management.
- Either from the Lake Chad Basin region or extensive experience in northeastern Nigeria;
- Demonstrated strong work ethic;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- English language fluency mandatory. Advanced proficiency in Hausa or Fulani required. Advanced proficiency in French strongly preferred.
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
DEADLINE: Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. The deadline for applying is April 15, 2016. Please apply early.
Method of Application
Please send a resume, an unedited writing sample (maximum 5 pages), and a cover letter describing your motivations for applying to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write ATTN: Community Engagement Coordinator in the subject line.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale