The Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations (FAO) is currently supporting the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the implementation of Great Green Wall of Sahara and the Sahel Initiative (GGWSSI), through a project called "Action Against Desertification (MD) in Sokoto Basin (Basanta Community in Sokoto State); Hadejia-Jamaare Basin (Jeke Community in Jigawa State) and Chad Basin (Maluri Community in Bauchi State). Action Against Desertification in Nigeria is designed to (i) improve information sharing and cooperation among stakeholders, (ii) strengthen systemic and institutional capacity for enhanced desertification governance and resource mobilization, (iii) develop and promote sustainable agricultural, forest, livestock and water management and restoration practices and facilities.
The project consists of three major components:
- Improvement of the coordination mechanisms, as well as legal, institutional and policy frameworks at national and local level towards sustainable and equitable land and forest management.
- Promotion and dissemination of improved sustainable land/forest management practices and technologies for rehabilitation of degraded lands and wetlands/fadama and alluvial plains.
- Knowledge sharing among key target audiences and stakeholders. including in the education sector.
We are now seeking a qualified candidate who will assist the Africa Special Hub (ASH) of MD and FAQ country Office in Abuja in daily operational management of the national component of the project in Nigeria, to fill the position below:
General Description of task(s) and objectives to be achieved
- Under the direct supervision of the FAO Representative in Nigeria, the technical guidance of the Regional technical advisor at the Africa Special Hub, and in close coordination with the Director General of the Great Green Wall National Agency,
- The NPC will ensure the effective and efficient day to day implementation of the project throughout the implementation phase, including planning and implementation of project activities, monitoring and evaluation and reporting, project reviews and project closure.
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Prepare and update project annual and quarterly work plans, and submit these to the Africa Special Hub (ASH) and FAOR - Nigeria for agreement and approval.
- Prepare and participate in quarterly work planning and progress reporting meetings with the FAOR. the ASH and the Director of the National Agency of the GGW.
- Draft TORs for key inputs (i.e. personnel, sub-contracts, training, and procurement> and submit these to the FAOR, the ASH and the Director of the NAGGW for clearance and approval, and administer the mobilization of such inputs.
- Provide technical advice to project beneficiaries, including staff of the NAGGW, review technical reports and monitor technical activities carried out by responsible parties.
- Ensure that all agreements with implementing agencies are prepared, negotiated and agreed upon.
- With respect to co-implementing partners and external project implementing agencies/ subcontractors:
- Ensure that these agencies mobilize and deliver the outputs in accordance with their letters of agreement or contracts, and
- Provide overall supervision and/or coordination of their work to ensure the production of the expected outputs.
- Assume direct responsibility for managing the project budget by ensuring that:
- Project funds are disbursed properly;
- Expenditure is in accordance with the project document and project work plans;
- Accounting records and supporting documents are properly kept and financial reports are prepared:
- Financial operations are transparent and financial procedures/regulations are properly applied:
- Supervise Project Coordination Unit(PCU) staff and local short-term consultants working for the project and provide guidance and support to international consultants.
- Prepare project progress reports and the project final report and organize Project Steering Committee (PSC) meetings, review meetings and evaluation missions, in coordination with FAO.
- Serves as Secretary for the PSC meetings
- Ensure the timely submission of work plans, reports, outputs and other deliverables to FAOR and ASH for review and evaluation,as appropriate.
- Regularly report to and keep the FAOR and ASH up-to-date on project progress and implementation issues.
- University Degree (preferably post-graduate Degree) with knowledge in Forestry, Natural Resource Management or related fields;
- At least 7 years of extensive experience in project management, planning and implementation, familiarity with EU or other donor funded development projects is an asset;
- Strong analytical skills, oral and written communication and team building skills;
- Substantial experience in leading teams of national and international experts:
- Excellent working level of English language in both writing and speaking.
- Knowledge on Nigeria's overall policies and strategies and strong leadership experience in the government structure
- Experience in working with various National and Regional stakeholders of the rural development sector.
- Good theorectical and practical technical background on desertification and drought issues and experience in drylands sustainable management and restoration of degraded lands.
- Experience in writing technical reports and scientific publications.
- Good background on or familiarity with the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and the Sahel initiative will be an asset.
Method of Application
Applicants should forward their applications accompanied with a one-page summary statement on how best you qualify for the above mentioned post, electronically to: FAO-NG@FAO.ORG and should be addressed to:
The FAO Representative,
FAO-UN, UN House,
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale