New Job Opportunity at UNESCO
Posted on: 3 March, 2016
Deadline: 3 April, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at UNESCO
In 1945, UNESCO was created in order to respond to the firm belief of nations, forged by two world wars in less than a generation, that political and economic agreements are not enough to build a lasting peace. Peace must be established on the basis of humanity’s moral and intellectual solidarity.
Purpose of the Post
- UNESCO Communication and Information Sector promotes an enabling environment for freedom of expression, press freedom and journalistic safety, facilitating pluralism and participation in media, and supporting sustainable and independent media institutions.
- The Sector also aims to ensure universal access and preservation of information and knowledge through promoting Open Solutions for Knowledge Societies programme (open education resources, open access, free and open source software, open training platform, open data and Open Cloud) and ICT accessibility.
- UNESCO Abuja is a Regional office, covering 8 countries (Benin, Cole d'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Togo).
- Under the close supervision and guidance of the Head of UNESCO Office Abuja and the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Communication and Information, and in close cooperation with staff in the relevant CI Divisions at HQ, the incumbent serves as National Programme Officer for Communication and Information in the UNESCO Regional Office Abuja with a specific focus on the Sector.
Qualifications and Competencies Required
- Master Degree in the field of Communication, Journalism, Information Management, Information and Communication Technologies, or any related Social Science is the minimum qualification;
- Good Professional experience (at least 2 years) in the area of Communication, Media, Information Management or Journalism at the National and/or international level;
- Experience in the implementation of National and sub-regional programmes (at least 2 years)
- Previous experience in the field of Media, Information Management or Communication; Experience in team working building and management of Communication programmes;
- Good computer and other IT skills;
- Strong sensitivity and adaptability in cultural, gender, religion, race and nationality;
- Strong strategic and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and oral expression;
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners;
- Experience and understanding of the country and region and a clear understanding of development work;
- Previous experience with UN agencies and understanding of the UN system, including its administrative procedures and DAD process would be an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of English. French will be an added advantage.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their applications, accompanied with their updated resumes, certificates and a completed UNESCO CV form by email to: email@example.com
Click here to Download Application Form
Note: Applications should be submitted not later than the above closing date midnight (Nigerian time).
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about UNESCOSimilar Jobs
- Protection Officer at INTERSOS
- Grants Manager at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Consultants at Save the Children Nigeria
- RRM/Emergency Manager at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Finance & Admin Manager at The Joint National Association of Persons with Disabilities (JONAPWD)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Coordinator at Christian Aid (CA)
- I.T Assistant at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Consultants at Plan International