The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a Finance Officer for the NRC Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria for 2015.
Reports to: The Finance Coordinator
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the position is day to day implementation of the support functions responsibilities. Use actions words such as ensure, implement or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
1) Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbook and guidelines.
2) Ensure proper filling of document
3) Assist Finance Coordinator to prepare and develop reports as required by management
4) Ensure that all support documents are complete and accurate before the financial transaction is done.
5) Establish good and considerate working relationship with all staff within the programs, demonstrating respect for their own roles and responsibility.
6) Ensure daily, weekly, monthly and periodic cash count is done
7) Assist Finance Coordinator in tracking advance and ensure that clearance of advance is done on time.
8) Any other duties that may arise to support NRC’s goals and objectives.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
• Take day to day responsibility of managing petty cash and cash box.
• Take day to day responsibility of managing cheque payments.
• Maintain up to date records, project accounts on the system to ensure that timely, accurate and appropriate information is available and reported.
• Preparation of payment vouchers for cash and cheques and ensure timely settlement of all undisputed invoices.
• Facilitate and assist finance Coordinator to perform cash and bank reconciliation.
• Ensure an effective filling system such that the files are updated, complete and safe guarded.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
• PD, PDMs, HR Officer, Administration Assistant, Logistics Officer
• Vendors, Tax authorities, auditors,
Scale and scope of position
Stakeholders: Vendors, banks
Information: Intranet, Agresso
Legal or compliance: NA
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
• Preferably educated to degree standard or equivalent
• Ability to work as a member of the team
• Previous (2yrs) experience working in an accounting department (preferably NGO)
• Willingness to be flexible and respond in a timely manner to support colleague when need arise.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
• Good IT skills and confidence in Excel and Word
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Good in oral and written English
• Good knowledge of the Nigeria country context
2. Behavioral competencies (max 6)
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
• High level of honesty, integrity and transparency.
• Ability to interact with National and International staff.
• Ability to work quickly and accurately to meet deadline.
• Communicating with impact and respect
Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
Commencement: As soon as possible
Contract period: until 31st December 2016 (with possibility of extension)
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
NRC is seeking a Logistics Officer in NRC Nigeria for 2016. The Logistics Officer reports to the Logistics Coordinator.
• Supervision, training and development of logistics team in NRC’s logistics policies and procedures ,
• Ensure compliance with NRC’s Logistics Handbook, other NRC policies and donor requirements in all procedures and processes
• Provide anti-corruption, transparency and cost efficiency focus in all processes (e.g. in procurement, vehicle management, asset management; warehousing)
• Ensure safe and efficient transport of staff and materials/goods
• Ensure sustainable stocks/assets management system is in place according to NRC requirements
• Ensure all NRC assets/premises are in good conditions and monitor maintenance/repairs if required.
• Prepare, check and share plans, records and reports as required (e.g. status reports, inventory lists)
• Implement a filing system/archives according to procedures
• Relevant university degree, or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
• Minimum 1 year experience from working with Logistics in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Proven experience in custom clearance
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
• Managing resources to optimize results
• High-level competency in computer skills (Microsoft Office applications)
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
• Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
• Highest standards of ethics and integrity
• Communicating with impact and respect
• All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
• Commencement: 01 April 2016
• Contract period: 31 December 2016 (with possibility of extension)
• Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
• Duty station: Abuja, FCT,
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter and updated CV to the following e-mail address: email@example.com. The title of the position you apply for must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for application is 29 February 2016 (any application submitted after the closing date will not be considered).