Andela is developing a corps of highly qualified technology talent across the African continent that will drive tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development. We find the brightest young people in Africa, hire them to train as world-class software developers, and connect them with tech companies around the world.
The Andela Family
- Andela is a family of innovators and changemakers.
- Students begin leading class on day two if not sooner.
- Trainers lead dance parties and difficult conversations with equal ease.
- Following the rules perfectly misses the point - we are a community of creators.
- We speak honestly, even when it takes courage.
- We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft.
- We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly.
- We choose extraordinary people, then trust them to do the right thing.
Soft Skills Trainers train Fellows to master a comprehensive set of nontechnical skills (e.g. communication, team dynamics, problem solving) necessary for success as world-class remote software developer. Primary responsibility for the incoming Soft Skills Trainer will be to lead the MONTH ONE Program, an intensive 4-week soft skills onboarding program that aims to:
- Build a solid foundation for world-class performance with international software development companies.
- Utilize unconventional teaching methods that are highly engaging, student-driven, laser-focused on the specific needs of Andela clients, and reject the outdated and counterproductive status quo of traditional education models.
- Establish a culture of excellence, passion, collaboration, and integrity.
- Set clear and rigorous expectations for required effort and outcomes from the start of the 4-year Fellowship.
- Break and rebuild habits, mindsets, and beliefs while providing framework for developing extraordinary life and work practices.
- Teaching experience (teacher, coach, counselor, etc.).
- Master in energy manipulation within self and among groups
- Exceptional professional writing and public speaking abilities.
- Extraordinarily dynamic and adaptable high performer, capable of making progress on multiple high-priority tasks in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Unconventional thinker with unstoppable initiative; capable of balancing creativity and enthusiasm for change with mission-focus, patience and prioritization.
- Uncommon ability to coach and mentor others with a keen understanding of their strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles.
- A good person who is driven by purpose, passion, constant learning, and the pursuit of excellence.
- Strong understanding of pedagogical concepts (e.g. curriculum, assessment, integrated learning).
- Demonstrable experience building and managing programs (e.g. education programs, large-scale events, entrepreneurship).
- Experience with Google Docs, Trello, or similar communication and collaboration technologies.
- Experience working with Skype, Slack, Google Hangouts, or other remote communication technologies.
- Experience living and working internationally.
- Some exposure to the world of software development.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Light breakfast and lunch provided daily
- Unconventional, dynamic, and passion-filled working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
go to method of application »
As a Technical Coordinator, you will be responsible for helping Andela's Software Engineers successfully engage remote clients. Distributed work environments are growing in popularity but the lack of physical proximity still brings unique operational challenges. As our engineers partner with teams spread around the world, across industries and across technology stacks, your role will be to help make the client and the remote team feel much closer.
No two days will ever be alike and variety will be the only constant. In the morning, you might find yourself helping engineers better understand the business value of their California team’s user stories; in the afternoon, you might virtually travel across the Atlantic in order to support another team of engineers as they strategically plan a data migration for their team in London.
With your knowledge of business, technology, remote communication and agile project management, you will help make the distance between our engineers and their teams-thousands of kilometers in most cases-feel like a logistical afterthought.
The specific responsibilities of the Technical Coordinator position include:
- Interfacing with the client to understand a client's business as well as their goals and visions for products being supported by Andela
- Assigning work to ensure that our engineers are always working on high priority tasks that will bring the most value to their team.
- Ensuring that our engineers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users.
- Working with our engineers to decompose high level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges.
- Perform code reviews to ensure that the work being submitted to the client follows the client's coding standards as well as meets the letter and spirit of the assigned task.
- Assist our engineers in effectively communicating with their teams.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
- Have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university.
- Have at least 5 years of experience working in software development, technology consulting or software product management
- Have experience effectively working remotely
- Are passionate about the evolving technology landscape and enjoy leveraging advancements to solve business problems
- Have a strong understanding of agile software development techniques
- Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English, verbal and written)
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have strong leadership skills.
- Strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100 thousand young Africans in next 10 years.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, apply on Greenhouse.io