The acronym WRAPA means different things to different people as we were told. It symbolizes the ordinary “wrapa” (one piece cloth) worn by the women folk, worn by all Nigerian women, thereby underscoring its national outlook and impact. It is a rights based NGO seeking to influence recognition and respect as well as the acceleration of the enjoyment of women’s rights as guaranteed by the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, religious and cultural laws as well as international laws and treaties that Nigeria is signatory to. A 37 persons/member Committee Chaired by ProfessorJadesolaAkande, produced a blueprint of a sustainable intervention aimed at achieving social justice for women.
- Over the past 14 years, the work of WRAPA has brought important achievements combining effective advocacy with free legal defence, counselling, shelter, skills and literacy training to promote women’s rights in Nigeria. Currently, WRAPA delivers services to an average of 15-30 girls and women each day. The organisation is working in all 36 states, with active presence in 22 states and the Federal Capital of Nigeria; with an increased demand for its services.
- WRAPA is at a threshold of corporate growth and is looking to further enhance its impact in the lives of women. In February 2014 WRAPA was one of seven non-profit organizations around the world to receive the 2014 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions. The grant awarded is being used by WRAPA to invest in innovation, upgrade physical infrastructure and implementation of the outcome an institutional assessment that facilitated a review of its strategies as well as develop creative solutions to enhance its efforts to promote women’s rights in Nigeria.
- As a result from this process, WRAPA now counts with a solid 5-10 years Strategic Plan (SP) and Theory of Change (ToC) to move into its next phase of growth and impact.
- Within this context, WRAPA is recruiting a Program Coordinator who will be responsible for the implementation of its strategic plan and projects, supervising and working with a team of its staff and partners to enable and guide this important stage of institutional reform.
- The implementation of the SP requires to prioritize and disaggregate areas into short term plan(s) as well as the adoption of measures of institutional strengthening identified within the process.
- As part of the concrete changes within the next 2 years WRAPA envisions improving the engagement of beneficiaries and key influencers at community levels as drivers of change and the organisation’s role and leadership in broad campaign to prevent and eradicate Gender Based Violence (GBV).
- These activities will be led and driven by the creativity and technical experience of a Program Coordinator working to support motivation, impact and improve results in project implementation towards more sustainability in WRAPA service delivery, human resources management and fundraising.
- Undertaking overall responsibility for coordination, design and management of projects in delivering the organization’s mission.
- Overseeing the efficient implementation of the Strategic plan in agreed phases.
- Technical supervision and guidance of the volunteers, staff, coordinators to promote organizational development, motivation, enhanced service delivery and partnerships at national and local levels.
- Supporting innovative institutional fundraising.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Project Design and Management - Providing strategic guidance to the team in the articulation and delivery of projects including: draft of new project proposals, monitor programming to meet desired outcomes (regular review of progress and technical assistance on individual projects with the programme officers), evaluating performance, identification and recruitment of technical and human resource requirements for short-term technical support for project delivery.
- Planning & Knowledge Management - Developing annual planning frameworks, research, compiling regular progress reports in coordination with the team, reviewing progress against work plans and activities, to prepare, disseminate annual and periodic reports. Guide and supervise the development of institutional publications and other communication materials/campaigns for dissemination to support program goals and increase community awareness. Ensure database(s) maintenance and that implementation of communication strategy responds to strategic plan and vision.
- Personnel Management, & Technical Supervision - Supporting and guiding the WRAPA team consisting of field and project staff (i.e. program officers, communication officers, state and zonal Coordinators, volunteers and consultants); maintaining open lines of communication. Contribute to consolidate avolunteer culture and management based on commitment, clear roles and mechanisms of recognition.
- Leadership - Technically leading the team for the implementation of overall strategies and work plans in accordance with WRAPA 5-10 years strategic plan, Theory of Change (Toc) and the priorities stated at the Recruitment Objectives of this ToR (2) together with WRAPA Secretary General. Provide advice to WRAPA Board, Secretary General, propose and implement high-level decisions on policy and strategy related to organisational development.
- Fund Raising - Enhancing strategies in accordance with the objectives of the organization.
- Corporate Development & Motivation - Guiding and supporting the team to implement the changes for institutional strengthening, support capacity building and training processes. Inspiring employees and promoting positive change within the organization.
- Strategic Partnerships & Networking - Public representation of WRAPA at national, local and international fora, meetings, and initiating or keying into productive networking relationships with stakeholders including beneficiaries, donors, development partners, CSO’s, public sector agencies and the private sector.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required, preferably in Social Sciences, Political Science, Law or related discipline in the field of Humanities.
- Specialization in human/women’s rights and/or development studies valuable
Experience, Skills and Qualities:
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience of Program Management in Gender, Human Rights or Social Development field
- Demonstrated commitment with the promotion of women’s human rights
- Strong analytical, report-writing, programme design, management and strategic planning skills
- Previous experience with human resources and managing positions; demonstrated coordination and programme support capacity.
- Experience with fundraising is highly desirable.
- Knowledge in the area of advocacy and service delivery to promote human/women’s rights is an advantage.
- In-depth knowledge of Nigeria’s key stakeholders in government, the private sector and/or international development community is valuable.
- Fluent oral and written communications skills in English required; knowledge of other national or international languages valuable
- Creative, strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Deep personal commitment for human dignity, equality, and justice
- Multitasking, highly organized and results oriented with ability to deliver in set time frames, manage multiple priorities and strategically engage with diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability for crisis management and performance under pressure
- Positive team player: inclusive and empathetic leader that encourages motivation, agency, creativity and team spirit from and between the staff, shares knowledge and experience across board.
- Flexibility to adapt to the political contexts and diverse cultural dynamics, review priorities and plans to enhance impact according to these aspects.
Place of work and other conditions:
- The Team Leader will be employed full time and be based in Abuja, at WRAPA office. She/he will report to WRAPA Secretary General. Where necessary, travel out of Abuja or Nigeria in execution of any of the responsibilities set out in the tasks.
The package remuneration for the post is negotiable.
Method of Application
Applicants should please send their Resumes/CV's including the last employer and 3 professional references with Cover Letter stating reasons of interest and your suitability for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com with the subject "Application for WRAPA Program Coordinator".