Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a senior management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Human Development Department (OSHD) is in charge of the Bank’s interventions in the social sector (including education, health and social protection). The Department carries out its work within the overall goal of poverty reduction and in conformity with established Bank policies and strategies on education, health, and social protection. The Department includes three Divisions: (i) Health (OSHD.3), (ii) Education, Science and Technology (OSHD.2), and (iii) Poverty Reduction and Social Protection (OSHD.1). The OSHD is guided by the Bank’s Human Capital Development Strategy which focuses on increasing competitiveness and employment opportunities; ensuring value for money and accountability for improved service delivery; and ensuring inclusion and social cohesion.
The Social Development Officer will perform technical, procedural and record-keeping tasks contributory to the work of programs concerned with social and political issues relating to human beings as members of organized communities, including such tasks as reviewing and extracting relevant material from selected publications; obtaining background information from varied reference sources; drafting standard correspondence; responding to general questions; coordinating meeting arrangements; compiling data for reports; and related support functions.
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will report to the head of the organizational unit, OSHD.1 and work under the administrative supervision of the Director, EARC. He/she will also work closely with internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent’s specific roles will be as follows:
- Drafting responses for the Manager's or Director's signature on Human Development sectors related issues;
- Attending Working Groups, Loans Committee, Loan Negotiations and Board meetings;
- Analyzing social sector policies and strategies of member countries;
- Recommending social sector studies/projects/programs to be included in the lending program for each country;
- Preparing Terms of reference for social sector studies/reports and assist Borrower in recruiting consultants, reviewing and approving reports;
- Initiating and maintaining a high level dialogue with borrowers and other agencies involved in Human Development;
- Organizing loan negotiations and signing of loan agreements, and ensuring that loan conditions are fully complied with;
- Operationalizing an integrated approach to sector investment;
- Monitoring and reviewing social sector aid programs of other donor agencies in each specific regional member country and determining financing gaps; and,
- Representing the Bank/Department at national and international Human Development related meetings such as sector working groups;
- Monitoring procurement of goods and services and advising Borrowers on related Bank Procedures;
- Reviewing design and tender documents;
- Supervising the work of consultants and contractors;
- Providing assistance to the loan administration department on disbursement related issues;
- Ensuring that Borrowers submit Quarterly Project Progress Reports, Audit Reports, Procurement plans and annual implementation plans on a regular basis;
- Preparing Project Completion Reports and drawing lessons for future Bank Group interventions;
- Preparing and monitoring portfolio performance reports for Social Sector projects including submitting inputs for briefing notes and speeches;
- Liaise with other multilateral and bilateral institutions;
- Represent the Bank at seminars and conferences related to human development activities.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s Degree in Social Development, Sociology, Economics or its equivalent in social/environment related discipline.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in the areas of Social Development/Social Policy and Socio-economics/relevant Social Sciences /or its equivalent in socio-environment-related discipline;
- Operational Effectiveness: The commitment to ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Innovation & Creativity: The commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the bank and its clients.
- Problem Solving: Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Demonstrates Professional Expertise: Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems/technology. Shares knowledge and expertise with others.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office application; knowledge of SAP will be a plus; and
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French. A working knowledge of the other language will be an added advantage.
Method of Application
To apply, visit AFDB Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.