World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT96
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One (01) Year
Organization Unit: AFRO Africa Regional Office (AF/RGO) / AF/IVE Immunization, Vaccines and Emergencies (AF/IVE)
Objective of the Programme
- To ensure that effective WHO Country presence is established to implement WHO Country Cooperation Strategies that are aligned with member States' health agenda and harmonised with the United Nations country teams.
Description of Duties
- Under the overall supervision of the WR and direct supervision of the Operations Officer in close consultation with the State Coordinator, the Administrative Assistant ensures timely support to field operations especially planning, budget, Imprest, etc and regular monthly reports in conformity with financial rules and regulations:
- Provide operational support for the day-to-day running of the State office in the areas of budget preparation and monitoring, financial transactions, transport planning, assets management, and office maintenance.
- Administer the E-Imprest. Ensure proper Implementation of financial procedures, systems and internal controls according to GSM instructions and WHO rules. Select and enter data from a variety of documents, ensure accuracy of calculations and attach necessary supporting invoices and receipts of payments and payment authorization.
- Reconcile State office cashbooks and justify any difference in reconciliation; prepare cash counts to reconcile with the cashbooks on a monthly basis
- Facilitate other field based payments in support of Supplemental Immunization and other activities and rendering accurate and timely reports
- Handle administrative arrangements for meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences
- Ensure timely procurement of, and payment for, required goods and services, maintenance of WHO goods and property as well as maintenance of up-dated inventory records
- Provides assistance to national and international staff and non-staff on all administrative and financial matters.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Essential: Completion of Secondary education, preferably supplemented by a University degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline.
- Desirable: Good knowledge of computerized accounting systems, budgets or ERPs and professional certification in accounting etc.
Verification of Educational Qualifications:
- "In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually".
- Sound knowledge of office management and administrative skills, good knowledge of banking regulations and local laws. Specialized knowledge of WHO administrative and financial rules, procedures and practices.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing an asset.
- Essential: At least 5 years' experience commensurate with the duties of the posts and its grade in an international, public or private organization of repute.
- Desirable: Experience in working with bilateral or multilateral International Organizations in the country is an advantage
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable:- Knowledge of the other UN languages
Method of Application
To apply, visit World Bank's Career Website
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.