Legal Vacancy at Jagal Group
Posted on: 9 February, 2016
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in Oil and Gas / Marine
View All Jobs at Jagal Group
JAGAL Group is a leading Nigerian conglomerate with operations in the Oil & Gas, Construction and Manufacturing industries. The company has been growing successfully over the past 40 years, and has become a valuable and respected contributor to the development of the country's economy.
Jagal offers diverse career opportunities across all its business activities. The Group's broad range of industries and services offer rewarding prospects for various professional backgrounds and can satisfy ambitions for a successful future career.
Reporting to: General Counsel
- The Legal Counsel forms part of a structured legal department. The Legal Counsel will be required to provide legal advice to the various departments on a wide range of legal aspects.
- The Legal Counsel will provide legal advice on Nigerian law and will ensure that Nigerdock does not contravene any laws in the execution of its projects, corporate policies and in particular, the legal liabilities, restrictions and obligations under the Nigeria Export Processing Zones Act (NEPZA) and the Regulations of the Snake Island Integrated Free Zone Regulations, 2012.
- The Legal Counsel reports and coordinates the execution of his work with the Senior Counsel and General Counsel.
Key aims and objectives:
- To provide legal advice and attempt to mitigate legal risk to protect the Company.
- Has knowledge of Nigeria laws, with a particular interest and practical experience in civil procedure, contract and construction law, administrative law, labour law and litigation.
- Experience in solving conflicting priorities and objectively provide accurate and practical legal advice.
- Demonstrates a basic practical understanding of the risks associated with project execution documentation.
- Ability to manage priorities, communicate effectively with employees in the various departments to ensure the legal aspects and concerns are identified and addressed.
Prime Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support the Supply Chain and Commercial Departments in the negotiation, drafting, and execution of agreements and contracts.
- Offer counsel on a variety of legal issues.
- Advise management and work alongside employees in different business units.
- Provide advice on legal risks and business terms of various deals.
- Interpret and explain legislation, contract provisions and corporate policy.
- Draft terms and conditions in agreements.
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that may affect the company and its affiliates.
- Perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights.
- Provide solutions to complex legal questions.
- Judge the merits of court cases filed against or on behalf of the Company, work with the appropriate managers to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Advise Company on compliance with applicable Nigerian laws and regulations.
- Assist in the management of all outside counsel.
- Interface with outside legal counsel on behalf of the company.
- To have an understanding of the implications of health and safety regulations.
- General Counsel and Commercial Director
- Project Controls Managers
- Project Management Team members
- Commercial Team members
- Procurement Team members
- Contracts Administration Team members
- External law firms
- Government agencies
- Holds a university LL.B degree. An additional appropriate LLM degree will be an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in general law practice.
- Practical knowledge of contracts oil and gas projects;
- Computer Literate – MS Project, MS Excel, MS Word, Outlook;
- Good written and verbal English skills;
- Effectively work under pressure in a team-oriented environment;
- Demonstrate the ability to meet deadlines and produce quality complex work;
- Must have good communication skills, deductive reasoning ability and ability to simplify complex legal issues; and
- Ability to coordinate and interact with multi-national employees.
- Team player.
Method of Application
Interested in this position, go to Jagal website to apply online.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Jagal GroupSimilar Jobs
- Business Development Officers in an Oil and Gas Firm - Ebonylinks / Sulan Services Limited
- Assistant Surveyor at Onstream Group
- Field Advisor at Hobark International Limited (HIL)
- Job Opportunities at Amaiden Energy Nigeria Limited
- Lube Sales Analysts at an Indigenous Oil and Gas Firm - Aldelia Limited
- Business Development Lead, OAL at AOS Orwell
- Job Openings at Hamilton Lloyd and Associates
- Engineering Supervisors at an Oil and Gas Firm - Rovedana Limited