Our client, a fully registered holding company with several subsidiaries is looking for a Bookstore Manager to join their growing team.
Reporting to the Group Managing Director, the Bookstore Manager will be responsible for the overall planning and organizing of the Bookstore operations to meet profitability objectives.
• Plan, organize, and supervise Bookstore operations to meet profitability objectives
• Manages the operation of a store unit, including purchasing of supplies and books, special orders, receiving and shipping, and return of overstocked or defective merchandise.
• Assess academic and store needs for all resale and store supply products, including textbooks.
• Research products and negotiate pricing, quality and delivery.
• Generate purchase orders, set pricing for resale.
• Supervise personnel which typically includes recommendations for hiring, firing, performance evaluation, training, work allocation, and problem resolution.
• Oversees and coordinates the payment of invoices and freight bills on blanket purchase orders, small purchase orders, and check requests.
• Research and recommend programs, policies and procedures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the bookstore function, including new software, internal controls, new electronic payment technologies, and customer service.
• Review daily cash receipts and ensure bookstore operations are maintaining profitability.
• Works with faculty and vendors to acquire and assure availability of new/used texts and class supplies to customers and students.
• Oversee and participate in the physical inventory of merchandise and data entry into computer.
• Provide Comptroller with supporting documentation necessary for yearend audit.
• Manage the bookstore’s spending and regularly monitor budget information.
• Work collaboratively with Administration to prepare the annual budget request.
• Represents the organization at various community and/or business meetings, committees, and task forces; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies.
• May oversee or manage the operation of auxiliary services such as vending machines or student service areas.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Excellent Negotiation Skills.
• Broad base of basic retailing knowledge and skills.
• Must be self-motivated and have the initiative to work independently to meet deadlines and resolve issues.
• Good administrative, supervisory and budget management skills.
• Good customer relation skills; ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of store clientele, outside vendors and organizations
• Must be proficient in the use of a computer, including spreadsheet and word software.
• Must have effective verbal and written communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• 4 to 6 years of relevant retail experience, preferably in a Printing Press, Publishing house or a University Bookstore managing Bookstore operations
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Management, Accounting or other related disciplines.
• Good general understanding of bookstore/Publishing operations, preferably within a University.
• Broad knowledge of retail sales operations and management, merchandising, computerized applications of Point-of-Sales
• Broad knowledge of retail sales operations and management, merchandising, computerized applications of Point-of-Sales; textbook management; and accepted business and retail, publisher and vendor practices.
• Business Development/Marketing Skills is an Added advantage.
Interested in this position, apply on Bradfield's career website