Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. With a network of experienced professionals in more than 40 countries, we partner with local communities to put bold ideas into action to help people recover, overcome hardship and build better lives now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of Nigeria and causing displacement of thousands of individuals, Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
We are recruiting for the position below:
The Operations Manager is a member of the country’s senior management team and is responsible for enabling excellence in all operations functions in Nigeria including Procurement, Logistics, Assets, Fleet, Warehousing, and HR. S/he ensures effective systems that support strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy and Vision:
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet program objectives.
- Contribute to the country strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Interface with stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
- Communicate with local partners and sub grantees to verify their systems and that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
- Maintain productive relationships with all stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
- Develop the capacity of the team and assist with continued development of a career path for operations staff.
- Facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurements.
- Work with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems.
- Assist teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations.
- Be responsible for full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps field manuals contained in the Office in a Box.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
Operations Management - Human Resources:
- Ongoing development/review country or field office specific HR policies and with the HR team communicate to teams.
- Ensure HR systems are implemented and ensure all HR policies comply with local law.
- Oversee fair, transparent and timely recruiting processes and the HR database and tracking of team members.
- Assist managers in implementing the performance review process and a fair and competitive compensation system.
Operations Management - Logistics:
- Ensure timely, accurate processing and documentation of procurements and use of Mercy Corps’ Electronic Procurement System found in the Office in a Box; Chair tender openings as required.
- Establish and maintain pipeline of supplies, overseeing the logistical aspects of the operation; oversee NFI, commodity storage and movements as needed.
- Supervise the fleet management team and ensure systems to track maintenance, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling.
- Liaise with finance to ensure compliance and payment schedules; maintain service contracts.
- Coordinate logistics (non-program) aspects of material aid projects and associated shipments; manage importation and customs clearance elements. Oversee equipment registration, licensing and insurance, etc.
- Maintain inventory records of materials and materials flow; oversee tracking of all assets.
Operations Management - Administration:
- Ensure Administrative systems are implemented as described in the Field Administration Manual.
- Oversee set-up and development of Mercy Corps offices including drafting and reviewing contracts for office and housing space, leasehold improvements, IT.
- Develop and periodically review country or field office specific policies and communicate them to teams.
- Oversee database and file management for administration, procurement, logistics resources documents.
- Oversee facility management, including housing and office leases; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises.
- Be responsible for any necessary expatriate visa and work permits.
- Supervise IT System Administrator to ensure functional IT systems.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Nigeria law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Skills and Experience
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field.
- 5-7 years field experience setting up and managing administration, procurement, logistics, and human resource systems with humanitarian NGOs with supervisory responsibilities.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in Africa and in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (esp. procurement systems) desirable; M&E experience preferred and knowledge of US, EU and DFID regulations helpful.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required;
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and cover letters in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Note: All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale