BP is one of the world's leading international oil and gas companies. We provide customers with fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, lubricants to keep engines moving, and the petrochemicals products used to make everyday items as diverse as paints, clothes and packaging.
BP delivers energy products and services that people around the world need. Our Upstream segment is responsible for oil and natural gas exploration, field development and production. Our Downstream segment is focused on the refining and marketing of fuels, lubricants and petrochemicals
The Marketing and Origination team was created to provide expert resources in pursuit of a range of more complex and longer-term transactions that will be required in support of Global Book strategies. These transactions will be marketed to third parties and will involve a combination of physical, risk management and financial elements.
Reporting to the Head of West Africa Origination, the WAF Senior Originator will be accountable for originating and executing opportunities in Nigeria and West Africa ensuring that origination activities are rigorously executed in accordance with Group and IST standards, supporting the approval and assurance process undertaken by commercial development, and the interaction with the IST support functions.
The WAF Senior Originator will work closely with the rest of the M&O Team in delivering these opportunities, being primarily responsible for managing senior relationships with key target customers in the region.
The WAF Senior Originator will support the shaping of the M&O WAF agenda, supporting the interaction with the Regional Business Lead and the linkage to the bench trading strategies.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to lead the Producer and Finance Origination team and apply commercial and business development skills, develop leadership and strategic thinking skills while expanding networks within the commercial and technical disciplines.
Role is accountable for driving commercial transactions, from inception, through negotiation, internal approval and contract execution, as well as operationalisation. Individual needs to bring an extensive external regional network, a proven track record of deal execution, with strong multi-tasking capability and proven commercial acumen and in depth expertise in West Africa Oil and Gas, capable of dealing with a range of commercial issues and deal matters. Key accountabilities include:
- Managing key target regional relationships across the energy sector
- Leadership in sourcing, originating and delivering commercial transactions, showing rapid decision making, commercial insights and deal structuring, with a clear understanding of finance.• Ensuring maintenance of Origination hoppers for WAF opportunities
- Support and /or lead deal approval process for own transactions in coordination with CD team
- Support linkage to functions (legal, compliance, Finance, Tax, Planning) to address any deal issues and resolve obstacles
- Provide and share market intelligence and information flows to the trading benches
- Ideal individual will have a track record of covering the West African region as a whole with a strong focus on Nigeria. Potential candidates with a narrower geographical focus may be considered
- Ensure adherence with the Code of Conduct
- Assure adherence to legal and regulatory environment in which the origination business operates
Essential experience and job requirements
The candidate is expected to work with minimal supervision and to network independently with team members.
Extensive network of contacts in West Africa, including but not limited to:
National Oil Companies and international oil companies in the region
Local trading houses
Local marketers of refined products
Bulk distribution companies
Local banks and non-bank funds
Other regional market participants
• Ideally a strong track record of physical origination, deal structuring and successful execution
Demonstration of sound analytical and problem-solving skills, numerate with a good level of financial understanding
• Sufficient understanding and exposure to hydrocarbon valuation, commodity trading and freight economics
• Very strong proven commercial and leadership skills and strong delivery focus, with high level of energy and enthusiasm
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organisational skills and the ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances
• Business understanding including understanding of financial decision-making and planning and financial statement analysis, financial modelling
• Solid track record of commercial delivery and experience
• A very high level of competence in financial structuring, Oil and Gas commercial business development, trade finance, trading
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• Keen inter-cultural awareness and ability to deal with rapid changes in the business environment are also important characteristics
College level education in business, Finance or Engineering preferred.
• Language skills are a desired skill – French and Portuguese particularly relevant.
• Strong commercial acumen
• Individual must possess team working, influencing, networking & interpersonal skills with the ability to work with people at all levels and across organisation
• Prior experience in oil and gas, origination, business development in Oil and Gas, trading, refining commercial operations, refinery planning and optimisation, supply
• Prior external experience in investment banking, trade finance or structuring or management consulting
• Energetic, self-starting and able to take ideas and run with them without undue supervision
Ability to energise and lead a small team of professionals and build internal networks to deliver on trading bench strategies
• Work co-operatively to enhance effectiveness, share ideas and successes characteristics
To apply, visit BP Career Page