Diageo is the world's leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of international brands across spirits, wine and beer. Our global priority brand portfolio consists of Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Baileys, J&B, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray and many more.
Diageo trades in approximately 180 markets and employs over 25,000 talented people around the world. With offices in 80 countries, we also have manufacturing facilities across the globe including Great Britain, Ireland, United States, Canada, Spain, Italy, Africa, Latin America, Australia, India and the Caribbean.
Our great range of brands and geographic spread means that people can celebrate with our products at every occasion no matter where they are in the world. This is why 'celebrating life every day, everywhere' is at the core of what we do.
Description Level: L4
Reports to: Corporate Relations Director
Guinness Nigeria currently operates on 3 sites within Nigeria with a portfolio of products including Stout, Malta, Lager and Ready to drink products and is the 2nd largest Guinness market globally producing and selling approximately 4.5ml hl per annum. It is quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange and a significant player in the national economy.
We are looking to fill the role of Public Affairs Manager. The role is expected to help the organization navigate complex public policy issues and communicate the company’s point of view to key stakeholder groups, including policymakers, legislators, regulators and other external stakeholders. The role holder will be responsible for the day-to-day management and execution of a variety of strategic public affairs and issues management programmes designed to help the company promote and protect its corporate reputation and creating an enabling environment for the achievement of the corporate goals of the business.
Role and Accountabilities
- Drive the creation of a more predictable and balanced tax environment that engenders business growth.
- Monitor the legislative and regulatory environments to identify issues and trends that may impact the industry and gain favorable public policy support through coalition and grass roots building, working in cooperation with other local and regional Policy and Public Affairs and communications leaders.
- Champion the building of outstanding relationships with key government stakeholders to achieve amazing outcomes with each of the stakeholder groups.
- Maintain radar on the tax and regulatory environment to alert the business on new and emerging developments that could impact the company’s operations.
- Provide leadership, consultancy, and support to the business on the development and delivery of responsible drinking programmes to promote positive perception of beverage alcohol by critical stakeholders.
- Draft position papers, messaging and related materials related to legislative and regulatory issues/developments to provide a consistent framework for communications and direct the advocacy efforts of the business including direct lobbying, grassroots lobbying and advocacy, and digital advocacy influencing of federal, state and local decision-makers.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Between 10 to 15 years progressive advocacy experience in public policy-oriented government affairs, communications, journalism, or government service.
- Minimum of five years of line management experience
- Background in public policy, legislative affairs or equivalent experience with demonstrated public speaking and communication ability. Experience in advocacy volunteer cultivation and management.
- Superior spoken and written communications and editing skills
- Track-record in communicating with diverse policy audiences and elected officials
- Expert knowledge of government structures, agencies and policies which impact the business at all levels in Nigeria and deep contacts in the policy community.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships
- Experience working collaboratively across complex teams to articulate project goals, issues and timelines
- Strong planning, execution, and process management skills
- Excellent computer skills especially with MS Word packages
Barriers to Success in Role
- Inability to think/act strategically, creatively and proactively.
- A need for extensive direction.
- Inability to see the bigger picture and to understand the link between excellent stakeholder management and business strategy and goals.
- Poor judgment especially around the compliance agenda in relationship with key stakeholders.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit Diageo's Career Page
- Click SEARCH OPENINGS
- Choose NIGERIA
- Click SEARCH
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.