If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The U.S. Consulate in Lagos is seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidate for the position in the Consular Section (CONS):
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent responds accurately and efficiently to incoming email, phone and postal mail correspondence regarding American Citizens Services and immigrant and non-immigrant visa from both the public and Congressional offices.
- S/he reports directly to the Correspondence Team Leader and works closely with LES team leaders, unit chiefs, and with the entry-level officer assisting the Correspondence Unit.
Note: All applicants Must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered:
- A University degree in one of the following: Social Sciences, Accounting, Humanities, Language Arts, or Natural Science is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years work experience in Consular or other work related to customer services, correspondence, or the application of regulatory material is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested. Level IV (fluent) of one other local language (Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba) is required.
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. immigration laws, regulations and procedures is required.
- Proficiency in MS software packages with the ability to draft correspondences and respond independently to inquiries.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Or Ordinarily Resident (OR) - N4,766,721 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-07
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor - Not-Ordinarily Resident - AEFM - US$40,665 p.a. EFM/MOH - US$35,014 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-07*
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for U.S. Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS - 174; plus.
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD - 214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that directly addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- A type written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e - mail) submissions to one entry/e - mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-400009-461-4000 Ext 4261
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.