Job Vacancies at The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Posted on: 13 January, 2016
Deadline: 26 January, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at United Nations Population Fund -
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting a Health Systems Specialist for the Country Office in Abuja.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position of:
- The UNFPA Nigeria Country Programme is supported through the Country Office in Abuja and Decentralized Offices in Kaduna and Cross River and a Liaison Office in Lagos.
- The Decentralized Office based in Kaduna provides direct programme and/or humanitarian support to Adamawa, Borno, Gombe, Kebbi, Sokoto, Yobe and Kaduna States with indirect support to other Northern States in the areas of Maternal Health (MH), Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) (including adolescent SRH (ASRH), gender-based violence (GBV) including in the humanitarian context, and data collection and use to support the programme areas.
- The Country Office plays the coordination role and assumes an oversight function; it is also responsible for resource mobilization, strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation.
- UNFPA's programmatic response in States includes a humanitarian operation that includes interventions in Yobe State. To strengthen implementation and ensure UNFPA maintains its leadership role in the area of SRH, ASRH, GBV prevention and response, youth issues, and data management and use including at the sub-national levels, the Country Office is seeking to fill the post of Humanitarian Programme Analyst for its Kaduna Decentralized Office and to be based in Yobe State.
- The Humanitarian Programme Analyst position will be based in Damaturu, Yobe State, and will directly report to the Humanitarian Program Coordinator based in the Country Office, Abuja.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Humanitarian Programme Analyst provides overall technical support for the implementation, monitoring and data management across the full range of the UNFPA humanitarian work in Yobe State.
- S/he analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to project formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and State humanitarian frameworks in line with the humanitarian principles and standards.
- The Humanitarian Programme Analyst guides and facilitates the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation.
- Specifically, s/he guides the development of methodologies as well as capacity development in monitoring and evaluation principles and practices to ensure relevance, efficiency, effectiveness, sustainability, and impact of the work of the UNFPA.
- S/he works in close collaboration with the Assistant Representative based in the Kaduna Decentralized Office to ensure compliance with technical norms, rules and regulations.
The Humanitarian Programme Analyst, Yobe will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Represent UNFPA in humanitarian coordination, assessment and planning meetings in Yobe State and provide timely and regular feedback on outcomes.
- Support the organization of and participate in meetings, other field trips/missions etc. on humanitarian-related matters.
- Monitor, analyze and report on humanitarian developments in Yobe State.
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results on UNFPA humanitarian programming areas, including on SRH, GBV, and data for development.
- Operationalize the Country Office arrangements for collecting, analyzing and reporting programme data to ensure the availability of data to measure indicators for evidence-based humanitarian programming in the State.
- Support the implementation of the Work Plan and assess implementation gaps and propose actions to address them to ensure smooth implementation of principled humanitarian action in line with UNFPA mandate and humanitarian strategy, and international frameworks.
- Support Government and NGO partners on the routine collection of programme data and humanitarian reports from supported Health Facilities in a timely manner.
- Work with UNFPA M&E Officers, including the Officer based in the Kaduna Decentralized Office, and Government Partners to adapt existing indicators or develop new ones including monitoring strategies for measuring results for short-term humanitarian interventions.
- Report monthly and quarterly on progress on all programme areas in the State to the Head of Office, Kaduna Decentralized Office, including update on the situation and emergency human security issues.
- Assist in the development of innovative funding and resource mobilization strategies, including proposal writing.
- Prepare and/or contribute to the development of reports, documents and communication (e.g. concept notes, presentations, correspondence etc.).
- Establish and maintain contacts with State officials, other UN Agencies, national and international NGOs, donor organizations, State coordination structures etc.
- Work with the Assistant Representative based in the Kaduna Decentralized Office to provide feedback to the Sub-Office on implementation of activities in the State.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor and/or the UNFPA Representative.
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development management
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Leveraging the resources of State government and partners
- Building strategic alliances and partners
- Resource Mobilization
- Values: Integrity/Commitment to UNFPA mandate
- Knowledge sharing and continuous learning
- Valuing diversity
- Managing relationships: working in teams, communicating information and ideas; Conflict and self-management
- Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance Management
- Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Analytical and strategic thinking
- Results orientation/Commitment to excellence
- Appropriate and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
The Ideal Candidate should:
- Be a Nigerian National.
- Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health, Humanitarian Assistance, Population, Demography and/or other related Social Science field, with specific training in principles and practice of monitoring and evaluation including in humanitarian settings.
- A minimum of 5 years of practical experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency relief management, public health or other related areas.
- Have work experience in data collection, management information system and data base management;
- Be experienced in working with government institutions, international and national NGOs and donor organizations.
- Be familiar with issues on population, reproductive health, gender and youth.
- Have strong ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English.
- Be fluent in Spoken and Written Hausa. Knowledge of Kanuri is also an asset.
- Be a resident of Yobe State.
- Have ability to work efficiently under pressure.
- Have excellent communication and human relation skills.
- Proficiency in current Microsoft Office software including Word and Excel applications is mandatory.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should visit UNFPA Career Page
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about United Nations Population Fund - UNFPASimilar Jobs
- Relationship Officer- (Credit Marketing) at a Non-Governmental Organisation - Anthony Ayoade Associates
- Job Vacancies at Model Mission of Assistance in Africa | Momi Africa
- Marketing and Customer Experience Manager at DKT International
- Communications and Marketing Manager at Critical Rescue International (CRI)
- Job Openings at The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Medical Jobs at The Maimuna & Usman Yahaya Foundation
- Country Director Assistant at the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO)
- Job Vacancies at Propcom Mai-Karfi