Mercy Corps been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. We are looking for a motivated individual, who is enthusiastic about the work we do and is looking to work within a dynamic team.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Knowledge Management and Communications Officer will provide leadership in all aspects of knowledge management, communications and learning. The KM&C Officer will report to the School to work Advisor and implement activities that ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ and DFID standards, including the use of standardized indicators and documentation methodologies. S/he will support research efforts, communications, documenting project impacts, and coordinating with Mercy Corps’ partner staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Technical Leadership –Knowledge Management and Communications
- Develop strategies for managing knowledge generated from implementation of the ENGINE strategies under each output
- Make recommendation for infrastructural provision to enable smooth management of information.
- Conduct orientation meeting for staff on agreed strategies
- Conduct background research on current KM practices and documentation under each output and harmonize.
- Review ENGINE data collection and reporting procedure and provide technical assistance
- Coordinate internal and external reviews of information collected and lead the analysis of findings, with a strong emphasis on learning.
- Participate in the preparation of high-quality quarterly and annual reports.
Capacity Building and Communications
- Actively participate in meetings and processes to promote effective program management (through strong KM and Learning practices) across the entire country portfolio.
- In close collaboration with MEL and program teams define customized learning and capacity development plans for ENGINE based on staff and project needs
- Review current Capacity Building Strategy and incorporate same into ENGINE M&E Strategy
- Problem-solve with others to address shortfalls in M&E and information management that affect program implementation.
- Participate in M&E-related working groups and maintain close working relationships with MEL counterparts in other relevant international NGOs, local NGOs, and associations in Nigeria.
Information Management and Knowledge Sharing:
- Design a system that will ensure project documentation are consistent, accessible and available
- Make recommendations on dissemination of information about the organization's best practices to internal and external audiences
- Lead development of appropriate knowledge products and develop dissemination plan in collaboration with the M&E Advisor
- Utilize internal Mercy Corps global online information-sharing resources to enhance organizational learning.
- Support the collection, alignment, and reporting of relevant program indicators as part of Mercy Corps’ global Mission Metrics initiative.
- Make performance results available to relevant program teams so that they can be used for continuous improvement.
Participatory Research/ Research for Development:
- Work with Mercy Corps and partner stafftoidentify research/impact measurement needs.
- Suggest appropriate use of participatory research methodologies to generate knowledge that helps project participants and project staff make more informed decisions and actions.
- Support ENGINE to package key learning and successful methodologies in focal areas.
- Suggest applicable archiving procedures for ENGINE documents for efficient storage and retrieval
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our participants and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of field projects.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Postgraduate degree in development studies, Communications, social sciences, or relevant field, with a strong foundation in Knowledge Management, Communication and Research.
- Minimum 3-5 years of KM work experience; ideal candidate will have both theoretical and practical background in KM, M&E and skilled in Communication methodologies and techniques.
- Knowledge of program development, implementation, evaluation, and reporting.
- Experience in developing video documentary, short films, designing newsletters.
- Experience working under UK Department for International Development (DFID) grants or contracts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with: Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SPSS
- Familiarity and experience with education or school to work programming especially targeting marginalized girls or young women programs preferred.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required. Hausa language skills desired.
go to method of application »
Location: Abuja - Nigeria (with some travels to states where Mercy Corps operates)
Duration: 4 Months (Temporary)
General Position Summary
- Provide support to all activities related to ECPN program and ensure smooth, timely, and compliant implementation.
- Liaise frequently with community members and represent Mercy Corps to local leaders
- Support the implementation of activities related to capacity building for leaders in negotiation and dispute resolution, facilitation and implementation of quick impact projects and joint economic development projects, the facilitation of community conflict prevention meetings, and other activities as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide programmatic support and ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget
- Liaise with ECPN partner organizations and potential resource persons as needed
- Facilitate and co-facilitate community meetings, events, and trainings as required
- Provide regular reports on activities and challenges
- Collaborate with M&E staff to implement relevant surveys, needs assessments, and other data collection activities for monitoring and learning
- Coordinate closely with other Mercy Corps conflict management personnel to ensure all objectives of the proposal and activities are met
- Support technical aspects of conflict management and economic development program by assisting with the development of activities/agendas/curriculum related to peacebuilding.
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluency in Hausa and English, both written and spoken.
- BA/S or equivalent in conflict management, social sciences, international development or other relevant field (Masters preferred).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in the non-profit sector in conflict management/peacebuilding, community development, or economic and market development.
- Experience working in rural areas in Nigeria, particularly in the Middle Belt.
- Experience working in a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills in the local cultural environment.
- Familiarity with community-based peacebuilding initiatives, good personality and reputation, dynamic, committed, and dedicated to the work.
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to email@example.com, Applications submission deadline: 13 January, 2016.
SUCCESS FACTORS: The successful KM&C Officer will have the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team. S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of Mercy Corps. S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate an ability to communicate, assume leadership, and make solid decisions while working remotely from country leadership.
All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale