If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Medical Research Council (MRC) Unit, The Gambia - We are the leading research centre in sub-Saharan Africa, carrying out internationally competitive research into tropical medicine for over 50 years. Our current research agenda focuses on three themes: Disease Control & Elimination; Nutrition; Vaccines & Immunity. Looking towards the future. we are aiming to push forward into new and challenging areas. refiecflng changes in national and global health priorities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
- Application are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment as a Higher Scientific Officer for “RooPfs: Can improved housing provide additional protection against clinical malaria over current best practice? A household-randomised controlled study”.
- The study is designed to prevent malaria in children by screening houses against malaria mosquitoes in rural Gambia. Clinical malaria will be compared in 400 children living in houses with metal roofs, closed eaves, screened doors and windows with a similar number of children living in typical thatched-roofed houses.
- Social science studies will determine the acceptability and cost-effectiveness of the interventions and will develop a a framework for scaling-up housing interventions, The Higher Scientific Officer (Social Sciences) will work on understanding the acceptability of the intervention and on developing a framework for scaling-up housing interventions. The successful candidate ill be based in the MRC Unit’s field station at Base in the Upper River Region, The Gambia.
- A B.Sc in a Social Science subject or Public Health and MSc in a Social Science subject.
- Significant experience in undertaking qualitative health related social science research including moderating focus group discussions, undertaking observations and in-depth interviews in a remote rural area.
- Experience of supervising the transcription and translation of qualitative data.
- Experience of working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience in qualitative data analysis.
- Ability to produce reports written in English.
- Proven ability to work independently and to deadlines.
- Willingness to work and spend significant amounts of time in a remote rural region.
- Knowledge and experience of using Nvivo software.
- Experience of organizing and heiptog to facilitate workshops.
- Experience of working with local level administrators and policy makers.
- Salary will be paid on Grade 3, 27 Points of the MRC Gambia payscale at a minimum take home salary of 43, 797 Dalasi per month equivalent isa net salary of $1094 per month using the prevailing USD/Dalasi exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary is paid in Gambian Dalasi and the USD figure quoted is only given as a guide using the prevailing Dalasi/USD exchange rate.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should contact the Human Resources Office for an application form and a copy of the job description and person specification for the post. Completed application forms together with photocopies of qualifications should be returned to:
Human Resources Office,
Vacancy for: Higher Scientific Officer (Social Science - RooPfs Study)
MRC Unit, The Gambia,
Atlantic Road, Fajara,
Telephone: 00220 4495442-6, 00220 4494072-9
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.