United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is supporting the Government of Nigeria to strengthen prevention of and response all forms of violence against children. In particular, assistance will be provided to strengthen the child protection system, including through modelling the system in four States, in order to demonstrate the impact of a well-functioning child protection system, to develop a common model for operationalizing the Child Rights Act at State level and to develop standardized tools, including regulations, working protocols and training manuals to govern the system.
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Vacancy No: E-VN-2015-003444
Duty Station: Abuja
Job Level: P-5
Application Close: 08-Jan-16
Contract Type: Long-term Staff (FT)
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Deputy Representative, the incumbent is responsible for carrying out the Monitoring and Evaluation functions within the country program. The Chief Monitoring and Evaluation is accountable for the undertaking of programme monitoring and evaluation (M&E), exercising advisory role, providing guidance, coordination and leadership in policy and strategy development, in the oversight of the implementation of M&E recommendations, as well as in the collaboration with the UN country team in support of the attachment of the SDGs.
Key Expected Results
- The Country Office has accurate, coherent and reliable up to date information disaggregated by gender on; the situation of children's and women's rights, through researches, surveys and studies (MICS); the performance of UNICEF-supported programmes including their relevance, efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability, and in emergency contexts, their coverage, coordination and coherence.
- The National and sub-national, monitoring, evaluation and research capacities are strengthened, with special attention to the gender equity and equality and the interest, concern and participation of primary stakeholders.
- Data and evidences are generated and used to catalyze partnerships and collaborative relationships consensus on advocacy and actions needed for pro child initiatives with development partners within and outside the country.
- Integrated Monitoring, Evaluation & Research Planning (IMEP) is prepared and in place to provide strategic priority and realistic plan of activities for M&E.
- Timely monitoring and measurement of changes in conditions due to programme or policies in country or region are provided to the Country Office and national partners to facilitate national planning, and assess the impact of the programmes and policies, and report on the progress being made.
- Mechanisms set up to seek feedback from partners on assistance provided to them, to secure their contribution and use of data and information collected and analysed and reported.
- Technical guidance and support provided for the collection of accurate, reliable, gender-specific and coherent information for the Country Office to effectively assess programme performance, with the involvement of key partners, in terms of progress towards key end-results established in annual work plans.
- Technical guidance and support provided to ensure that Country Office Performance are systematically monitored and data for key indicators of the Annual Management Plan and management reports are collected, analyzed and made available to management and the Country Management Team.
- Evaluation is designed and carried out with quality process and products in line with priority and strategy. Evaluation findings, recommendations and reports are useful to improve programme performance and are effectively disseminated to the intended audience.
- The monitoring and evaluation capacities of Country Office staff and national partners are strengthened, enabling them to increasingly engage in and lead monitoring and evaluation processes and to develop and use gender-specific indicators and monitoring and evaluation approaches to address gender inequality.
- Effective communication and partnerships are achieved in carrying out integrated planning of research, monitoring and evaluation activities within the Country Office and with the Regional office, national partners, the UN Country Team and the international community. Tools to assess and monitor effectiveness UNICEF communication are in place, used and are leading to an enhanced awareness and engagement of partners towards these commitments.
- The awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of Monitoring and the Evaluation functions among the all staff members are promoted and senior management are committed to it. Technical assistance provided for the conduct of inter-agency rapid assessment to define humanitarian response, in line with core commitment for children in humanitarian action.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree (Master), preferably in the Social Sciences, Public Administration and additional training in evaluation mechanisms and methodologies is required or;-
- A first University Degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of Advanced University Degree.
- Technical knowledge of the latest developments and applications in monitoring and evaluation of social development programmes and development of social statistics are an advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in evaluation.
- Knowledge of current development issues an asset.
- Experience related to the Organization's mandate and activities an asset.
- Developing country work experience, in a complex environment.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency in English and another UN language, French preferred.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
i) Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
iii) Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Persuading and Influencing
- Creating and Innovating
The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should click here to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale