British American Tobacco (www.bat.com) is a market leading, global organisation with a long, established history and a bright and dynamic future. Thanks to our people we have continued to deliver growth and exceed expectations in an increasingly complex and challenging marketplace.
Our aim is to become the leading tobacco company in each of our markets by providing excellent products with confidence and responsibility expected of global consumer brands.
If you have the talent and motivation to help us succeed you’ll find we are equally committed to helping you reach your full potential too.
- To Effectively Manage one Shift in each Cell to produce required volume and mix of products on time and in the required quality; drive improvement initiatives to help achieve set manufacturing key performance indicators while optimizing manpower deployment.
- Deliver performance targets as per KPI given on:
- Conversion Cost
- To identify opportunities within the shift by understanding “trends and patterns” that can help achieve improved performance and implement them in consultation with the Cell Manager.
- Ensure the mandatory scheduled product quality checks are carried out on all machines in the Cell with appropriate actions from obsevered defects/faults executed immediately.
- Ensure all shop floor support systems (Talisman, PI&T, Online Quality System) are always functional and fully utilised with any operational issue with the systems escalated appropraitely for immediate resolution.
- Constantly seek to minimise NVA (Non Value Add) processes and employee activities.
- Lead investigation “to Root Cause” of all negatively trending KPIs and develop actions to reverse trend.
- Lead Shift Team through the IWS Phase Journey
- Provide requisite leadership, guidance and direction to the production shop floor team.
- Evaluate the performance of all the shift members identifying strengths and weaknesses and providing constructive feedback. This includes giving the relevant information to the Cell Managers to help in Team Management of each cell.
- Identify strengths & development needs of the shift members and discuss the same with the respective Cell Managers.
- Coach Shift Team and support resources to comply with established standards and document standards for improvements made
- Regularly share with the shift members their performance and other relevant information & changes.
- Create the right working environment in the shift (process awareness, access to information, responsibilities, skills, communication flows) to help ensure the shift consistently achieves its key performance indicators.
- Properly document and escalate all significant incidents/events during the shift including but not limited to people issues, EH&S incidents, material issues, spare part problems, equipment breakdowns, utilities issues.
- Ensures requisite preparation and support is provided to help achieve flawless execution of planned maintenance, engineering projects, Consumer Product & Testing (CPT) production and New Product Introduction (NPI) projects
- Ensure housekeeping standards are consistently maintained on the production floor in accordance to 5S principles.
- Work effectively with all stakeholders whose activity has direct impact on the shift's performance.
- Support Cell Manager to foresee possible issues and ensure smooth production process of the cells
- Facilitates and encourages the interaction of the shift members and influence the shift's objectives & results
- Support the Integrated Work Systems (IWS) way of working.
- Consistently seeks for and encourage shift members' ideas in respect of possible improvements and their implementation
Context / Environment:
- The supervisor in summary is expected to coordinate and provide direction to the shop floor personnel, monitor the effectiveness of work done; assure the quality of products made and provide support to all planned tasks including process and performance improvement activities.
- The role needs to create an open environment where all shift members can freely generate, discuss, evaluate and deliver their ideas. Emphasis should be put on enabling team members to make their own decisions in respect of not only internal cell processes but also external issues which affect cell operations (materials, tobacco, quality, cooperation with other cells) within the guidelines of the Decision Matrix.
- The Factory operates a 3 shift system running 24 hours per day and 7days per week which will require some “out of normal” hours to effectively communicate with all technical teams
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Leadership skill, organizational and people management skills are crucial.
- Ability to use Microsoft office tools at basic proficiency level (MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Outlook).
- Familiarity with structured problem solving tools and ability to prepare clear, concise, and well-organized written reports.
- Coupled with the above, a strong working knowledge of technical training, troubleshooting, and maintenance approaches will be essential to the success of the role
- High degree of inter personal skill will be required to establish credentials and to pass on knowledge and experience to newer team members
- Ability to facilitate meetings and effectively present to small groups is essential.
Key Success Factors
- Month on month improvement in shift's KPIs.
- Highly trained and motivated technical workforce.
- Robust systems in place to monitor key performance indicators
- Good working relationships established both internally and with OEM’s.
Internal (Within BAT):
- SMD Cell Managers, PMD Team, Quality Team, Warehouse Team, EH&S Team, Engineering Team, IT Team, HR Team and Finance Team
- Other OpCos, OEM's, Spare part suppliers
go to method of application »
Develop and monitor implementation of strategic procurement plans for the sourcing of Indirects goods and services for the factory environment in Ibadan and Zaria as well as Head office in Lagos and Leaf office in Iseyin in BAT Nigeria. Ensure flexibility of supplies, appropriate quality and complexity reduction at the best total cost.
Responsible for the execution of Low value spend category including “Sourcing to Contract” specifically:
- Source to contract
- Spend and compliance reporting
- Contract Management
- Responsible for the development and execution of sourcing plans for Indirects goods and services in the factory environment in Ibadan and Zaria as well as Head office in Lagos and Leaf office in Iseyin) with final implementation of contracts where necessary
- To ensure the category sourcing and contracts for Indirects goods and services in the factory environment in Ibadan and Zaria as well as Head office in Lagos and Leaf office in Iseyin meet the business requirements through the execution of the strategic sourcing process.
- To adhere to applicable policies, standards and platforms including the agreed Sourcing Management methodology and approach and to deliver robust terms and conditions that manages BAT’s service delivery and commercial risk.
- Support the Above Market team on all projects.
- Update all report platforms (FISP, IBTT, SCTT etc) as required by the business
- Analyse financial and market data, to build and maintain knowledge on all aspects of our supply related external environment, on behalf of the business.
- To ensure all contracts are agreed with the relevant business owners with minimal environmental impact.
- Support a green environment in line with EHS Policies
- Ensure compliance with the company EMS Policy and ensure reduction in business activity impact on the environment
- To ensure contracts are completed for all relevant agreements and that SLA’s (Service Level Agreements) have been agreed with the relevant business owner.
- Provide forecasts on prices and market changes as an input into planning where appropriate
- Continuous supply improvements delivered to BAT Nigeria, measured in terms significant cost reduction, supplier rationalisation, high levels of service, introduction of business process changes and complexity reduction.
- To lead the process of sourcing execution to ensure delivery of the stakeholder requirements and targets.
- Identifying and managing the risk which exists whenever goods and services are contracted out to suppliers and service providers.
- Ensure full cross-functional commitment to strategies through communication, education and evaluation of initiatives.
- To own commercial supply base management building strong internal and external business relationships to ensure the delivery of the category goals.
- To facilitate the creation of supplier SLA’s and performance check-points. Manage and resolve contractual performance issues and escalate where required.
- Management of multi-functional teams and high level of project management skills.
- Maintain high level of internal customer satisfaction with all stakeholders
- To identify new products and services that may impact on sourcing execution and escalate to the Procurement Business Manager - Operations.
- To strive for continuous improvement initiatives with suppliers, managing resource and actions from other functions into this process to deliver quality enhancement and smart spend management.
- To propose and/or develop alternate solutions alongside new products and services.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Thorough knowledge of supply market, supplier capabilities, competitor activity, and expected trends at a local level.
- Proven capability of applying supplier management techniques to ensure contracted benefits are delivered.
- Supplier and contract management experience.
- Detailed understanding of financial evaluation and interpretation of supplier’s records and their key cost and business drivers.
- Proficient in supplier assessment processes that are used to develop supplier improvement plans Detailed understanding of e-commerce tools (such as e-Sourcing, etc.) to enhance and sustain the Indirect Procurement processes
- Full understanding of the category total cost model, cost drivers and all factors needed to ensure a robust agreement for BAT (including specification and testing requirements).
- Understanding of the processes, timelines and constraints for the development and delivery of new products.
- Professional knowledge of procurement principals, including high order negotiation skills.
- Sound knowledge of corporate regulations and legislation to ensure the creation of effective contracts.
- High level of commercial awareness.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven negotiation skills and influencing skills: able to influence business partners and suppliers as well as the ability to be assertive if required to ensure compliance to contract.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective partnerships.
- A focus on quality service delivery at the best total value.
- SAP MM
- MS Excel
- University degree level education or equivalent of HND from recognized institutions of higher Learning
- CIPS Corporate Diploma in Purchasing and/or membership of The Chartered Institute for Purchasing and Supply or equivalent country qualification or MBA would be an advantage
Method of Application
Use the links below to apply