International Medical Corps, a global humanitarian nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs, seeks candidates for the position of Ebola Assessment Officer in Nigeria.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Conduct an assessment of Eket, Akwa Ibom State in order to identify existing gaps, both in terms of programming, geography and opportunities for IDO preparedness and response
- Meet with stakeholders including MOH, SMOH, INGOs, LNGOs, as well as civil society organizations, in order to identify gaps in infectious disease preparedness and response in the event of an outbreak or threat of an outbreak.
- Conduct focus group discussions and in-depth interviews with community members and leaders to assess gaps in knowledge and awareness about IDO (e.g. Ebola) prevention; and to gauge their preparedness in accessing possible IDO Treatment Unit and other related services.
- Discuss potential roles with ExxonMobil Nigeria representatives.
- Consult with S/MOH, CDC, WHO and other existing stakeholders, including Emergency Operations Center for Ebola (if available).
- Conduct desk review of relevant documents, stakeholders' reports and donor guidelines.
- Engage Technical Unit (TU) at HQ to design appropriate assessment tools and carry out assessment in health facilities and communities.
- Review the Preparedness Plan for IDO (e.g. the one for Ebola Virus Disease) in Nigeria.
- Review Infectious Disease Outbreak guidelines of MOH and align preparedness and response report with guidelines.
- Assess feasibility of participatory approach and engagement of should there emerge a need/opportunity for proposal development.
- Ensure that inputs from S/MOH and key stakeholders are solicited and incorporated into the report.
- Ensure that strategies included in scoping assessment are sufficiently supported by relevant existing data and evidences that justify the interventions.
- Prepare/gather and incorporate all needed annexes and supporting documents, as per the Donor’s requirements and/or IMC country team or HQ’s request.
- Ensure that all stakeholders are aware that donor is not planning any interventions at this time.
- Develop budget to support recommended plans of action.
A rapid assessment report with findings regarding Infectious Disease Outbreak (with epidemic potential) treatment capabilities in Eket, Akwa Ibom State, based on available expertise and experience, existing gaps and necessary actions, and reasonable timelines.
- Submit assessment notes (summary notes plus raw data).
- Submit preliminary budget for suggested activities and responses based on assessment report.
“To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.”
- MPH or equivalent degree. Medical degree preferred, in addition.
- At least 5 years of needs assessments and program design experience in global health.
- At least 2 years residential experience in a developing country of Africa, preferably Nigeria
- Excellent skills in technical writing and developing proposals. Must have experience in working with international NGOs, national and state governments (Ministry of Health - MOH), donor agencies, and academic institutions in the context of proposal development.
- Experience in Infectious Disease Outbreak prevention and response preferable.
Method of Application
To officially begin the application process, qualified candidates please go to our career page http://careers.internationalmedicalcorps.org/careers.aspx , noting where you noticed the position you are applying for and complete the online employment application form.