Mercy Corps is a global organization, 4,000 strong, powered by the belief that a better world is possible. We help people survive and get back on their feet when natural disaster strikes, economies collapse or conflict erupts. And where there are chronic threats to peace and progress, we partner with communities to overcome obstacles and thrive.
We are recruiting for the position below:
Tracking Code: 220076-927
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. With a network of experienced professionals in more than 40 countries, we partner with local communities to put bold ideas into action to help people recover, overcome hardship and build better lives now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of Nigeria and causing displacement of thousands of individuals, Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- With the support from the Operations manager, the Procurement Officer is responsible for overseeing and implementing procurement for Mercy Corps in Abuja office.
- The Procurement Officer is responsible will work closely with program, administration, HR and finance teams in Mercy Corps country and field offices.
- He/She will be instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
- Mercy Corps has zero tolerance of any corruption or conflict of interest case and proven record of honest past performance will be carefully checked.
Essential Job Functions
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities;
- Preparation of procurement paperwork including Purchase request, Request for Quotations, Purchase Order,
- Bid Analysis and Payment Request.
- Clearly understand and apply MC procurement policy. Assist in advising program and office management on required practices and procedures; Conduct training to all staff on procurement processes needed;, as needed in training staff on these policies.
- Assist Program and operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Ensure all Mercy Cops employees are well versed in procurement procedures.
- Ensure procurement ceilings and approval procedures are utilized appropriately.
- Ensure procurement files are maintained in a orderly and up-to-date system, as per MC standards; this includes dissemination of ongoing purchase request master list on weekly bases.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by supervisor - as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Interact with vendors and service providers during collection of quotations - explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations;
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with procurement Assistant and with instruction and guidance of Operations Manager.
- Conduct frequent market surveys and maintain a strong knowledge of the local market;
- Conduct internet searches and initiate contact with national suppliers, as needed.
- Provide training to new MC staff on procurement system
- Coordinate with the finance department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without necessary strain on the financial systems of MC. Prepare all financial documentation including GRN, Payment request and ensure receipts are translated as needed.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps procurement activities are legal and moral
- In cooperation with financial management staff, help to ensure compliance with established financial management rules and procedures for all Nigeria-based procurement and personnel
- Update the Procurement status and send to all originators every Friday.
- The Procurement and Logistics Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, Field Asset Management Manual, Fleet Management Policy Guidelines and the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Report Directly to:
- Senior Procurement and Logistics Officer
Work directly with:
- Program, Finance and Operations Staff in Abuja
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in operational support functions with a humanitarian non-governmental organization or international organization in procurement, administration or logistics.
- Experience in setting up and managing logistics and procurement management systems.
- Ability to work effectively and transparently with local suppliers and vendors
- Ensure fair competition of all bids and assure that all procurement staff strictly adhere to Mercy Corps Procurement rules regarding vendor relations as outlined in MC Field Procurement Manual
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Knowledge of Hausa is an advantage.
- Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and computer skills in Microsoft office applications especially MS Excel.
- Demonstrated honesty in work relationships.
- Excellent oral and written skills
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required. A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale