Vacancy at IFDC- International Fertilizer Development
Posted on: 14 December, 2015
Deadline: 15 December, 2015
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at IFDC
IFDC’s North and West Africa Division (NWAFD) is currently managing two regional projects funded by USAID West Africa (WA): the West Africa Fertilizer Program (WAFP) and the C4 Cotton Partnership (C4CP). Both projects seek to directly support USAID/WA’s efforts to sustainably increase agricultural productivity in the region and its goal for the 2015-2019 performance period of broad-based economic growth and resilience advanced by West Africans.
Both projects’ ability to achieve their goals hinges on the establishment of effective collaboration mechanisms with regional institutions that play a critical role in addressing development constraints in West Africa: the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS); the West and Central Africa Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF/WECARD); the West African Economic and Monetary Union (French acronym—UEMOA); the Permanent Inter-States Committee for Drought Control in the Sahel (French acronym — CILSS); and the Network of Farmers’ and Agricultural Producers’ Organizations in West Africa (French acronym — ROPPA).
IFDC is seeking to second a Policy Economist to ECOWAS to support critical policy reforms for increased availability and use of appropriate and affordable fertilizer in West Africa.
Qualifications, Experience And Skills Required
A Master’s degree in Agricultural Policy, Agricultural Economics, Economics or a related field
- At least five years of professional work experience, preferably in agricultural policy with government or international donor-funded projects/programs in the areas of fertilizer, food security or economic development
- Work experience in ECOWAS Member States (required) and with regional institutions (preferred).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and French
- Competence in the use of computers and MS Office software
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ethics, integrity and sound judgment;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with staff and counterparts from different countries and cultural backgrounds
- Ability and availability to travel to other countries as required
Specific job responsibilities
The Incumbent Will Provide Technical Assistance Needed To Improve The Ability Of Both WAFP And C4CP To Achieve Their Goals Through The Establishment Of Effective Collaboration Mechanisms With Regional Institutions. He/she Will
- Liaise with ECOWAS officials, particularly in the Agriculture Department, regarding regional initiatives and issues related to the fertilizer and cotton sectors;
- Facilitate ECOWAS/IFDC coordination on planned fora, meetings, initiatives and implementation;
- Advocate, as appropriate and needed, on behalf of USAID/IFDC initiatives;
- Provide at least monthly updates on all ECOWAS activities related to USAID/IFDC ongoing work and current and potential initiatives; and
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the COPs of WAFP and C4CP or their designees.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, visit IFDC's career page on SilkRoad HR
Applications Should Include
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page)
- An updated CV, including three references
- A copy of the highest diploma/degree, as well as training certificates related to the position.
Original documents are to be presented once the candidate is selected.
- Qualified Nigerians and other West African nationals and women are strongly encouraged to apply;
- No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about IFDCSimilar Jobs
- Latest Jobs at Gender Equality, Peace and Development Centre (GEPADC)
- Latest Job Vacancies at Malaria Consortium
- Business Development Advisor at Plan International
- Senior Program Officer, Special Projects at FHI 360
- Graduate Human Resource Assistant at Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Renovation and Construction of Camp Facilities, Custom House at The Agency For Technical Cooperation And Development (ACTED)
- Job Vacancies at The Agency For Technical Cooperation And Development (ACTED)
- Medical Doctor at COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale