The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations. Its mandate
is to promote and accelerate sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition, and work
towards improving living conditions in the world's poorest countries by drawing on its combined global resources and
The RON implements regional and country specific projects with technical support from the Headquarters. It is also developing
Country Programmes in support of the industrial development aspirations of countries under coverage. In Nigeria, UNIDO is
implementing projects in close partnerships with the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture
and Rural Development (FMARD); the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, Federal Ministry of Environment
and the Energy Commission.
The organization is also implementing specific projects with some state governments. With growing demand for services and portfolio of projects, the UNIDO Regional Office, Abuja is seeking a Media and Communication Expert to join a dynamic team in Abuja. The successful candidate will be responsible for enhancing the visibility, relationship management and impact of UNIDO in the sub-region, but particularly in Nigeria. The expert will develop and implement a communication strategy, offering an effective in-house specialist advocacy service for the Organization and its clients, including media relations, public relations, and communicating project results and impact to clients.
The Media and Communication Expert (MCE) will work under the supervision of the UNIDO Representative in Nigeria and in
close coordination with the Coordinator, Advocacy and Communications Group at UNIDO Headquarters (HQ). The MCE will
work closely with the RON staff and a team of national and international consultants working on the projects. He/she will be
specifically required to undertake the following main duties:
1. Media and communication
- producing content for the UNIDO's website, updating the website;
- production of periodic newsletter and other print materials;
- monitor media coverage of UNIDO, maintain media clips & photos;
- provide media support to the UR and UNIDO staff/experts;
- arrange speaking engagements, and plan and news conferences;
- ensure the Organization's print & online presence is consistent with HQ guidelines.
Output: Stakeholders having up to date information on UNIDO programmes, projects, and activities, as well as impact of
- prepare advocacy materials;
- propose activities to enhance UNIDO’s impact and visibility;
- package and promote UNIDO’s specific projects and activities;
- undertake media related research
Output: Stakeholders having better understanding of industrial development issues and integrating these in development
3. Liaison and coordination:
- liaise with journalists to build a better network and understanding of the work of UNIDO;
- coordinate all media related activities in cooperation with the UNIDO substantive Branch;
- provide support and planning for UNIDO events.
Output: Structured and impact oriented reporting on the work and mandate of UNIDO.
4. Additional support:
- provide ad-hoc assistance to the UR on communication matters;
- write featured articles and contribute to speech writing;
- any other related activity requested by the UR.
Output: Enhanced engagement with stakeholders as of when needed.
- Submit a final report at the end of the assignment incorporating conclusions and recommendations.
University - Master's degree or equivalent, Journalism and information - Communications, public relations, international business or other relevant area
English (Fluent), Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language, particularly French is desirable.
E-mail (Fully proficient), Internet (Fully proficient), Spreadsheets (Fully proficient), Word processing (Fully proficient), Multi
Field of Expertise:
Information and communication (3 years and more), . Practical experience in the field of Communication, including:
- experience in reporting/writing on economic issues, industry or manufacturing;
- experience in organizing large-scale conferences;
- working experience with external and internal service providers;
- experience in the work of the UN is desirable;
- knowledge of UNIDO's mandate, rules and regulations would be an advantage;
- background as a writer, or experience in public speaking would be an advantage.
This appointment is limited to the specified project(s) only and does not carry any expectation of renewal.
Employees of UNIDO are expected at all times to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, both at work and outside.
Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for jobs at UNIDO.
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advanced phase of the selection process.
Selected candidate(s) may be required to disclose to the Director General the nature and scope of financial and other personal interests and assets in respect of themselves, their spouses and dependants, under the procedures established by the Director General.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit UNIDO Career Page