The British High Commission is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to deliver highest possible standards of service by selecting experienced and professional staff to fill the position of Consular Assistant
SECTION: Lagos Consular Section
GRADE: A2 (L)
POSITION TYPE: Permanent
SALARY: N335, 411 Per Month
Main purpose of job:
To provide consular assistance to the many British nationals who live in and visit Nigeria
Roles and responsibilities:
- Process Emergency Travel Documents for British nationals.
- Consular Assistance to British nationals and eligible persons (Hospitalisation, Deaths, Financial Assistance, Prisoners, Child Abduction & Other Assistance work)
- Provide frontline reception to all consular visitors
- Dealing with general enquiries by phone/letters/e-mails
- Maintain files of consular casework and information
- Establish and build relationships with key contacts to facilitate excellent networking.
- Maintain a daily record of all visitors given assistance to help with year end statistics
- Provide administrative support to Vice-Consul and Consul/CROM
- Filing and registry duties
Key competences required:
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering a quality service
- Delivering at a pace
- Collaborating and Partnering
Good command of English both written and spoken
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
- Previous experience of working in a consular section.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy (compile accurate information in both written and electronic formats).
- Have excellent customer relations and be able to listen to and support British and EU nationals with sympathy and sensitivity.
- A tolerance for aggressive customers, challenging consular casework (death, hospitalisation, child abduction).
- Be respectful of the personal nature of the job and take care to protect sensitive information and adhere to strict data protection policies.
- Ability to work well in a small team, working independently while taking a proactive approach to the role (particularly under pressure)
- Good understanding of Microsoft Packages (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer)
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Nigeria with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The British High Commission in Lagos is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Nigerian employment law.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
Method of Application
All applicants should submit
- a covering letter (2 pages maximum) stating why they are a suitable candidate for the position, giving brief examples of how they have applied the above competencies in a previous role,
- a copy of their CV, via email to: Recruitment.Africa@fco.gov.uk
Internal applicants should also submit the above, with a copy of their last appraisal to the same email address.
All candidates: Please quote in the subject line, of your email, the Vacancy Notice No: 16/15 LOS and position you are applying for.
Internal candidates, and spouses of diplomatic officers: Please quote in the subject line, of your email, the Vacancy Notice No: 16/15 LOS and position you are applying for, and also indicate that you are an internal candidate, or spouse of a diplomatic officer.
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
The closing date is 11th December 2015 and no further applications will be accepted after this date.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.