International Organization for Migration (IOM) was established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Reference Code: VN2015/122(P)-INT
- Under the supervision of the Regional Director for West and Central Africa and the administrative direction of the Chief of Mission of IOM Abuja, the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall coordination and management of the European Union (EU) - funded Programme "Support to Free Movement of Persons and Migration in West Africa (FMM West Africa)".
- This five year programme aims to maximise the development potential of free movement of persons and migration in the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) by supporting the effective implementation of the ECOWAS legal and policy framework on free movement and migration.
- The programme is implemented by a Consortium of Partners, under the lead of the International Organization for Migration(IOM),in close coordination with the ECOWAS Commission. The International Centre for Migration Policy Development(ICMPD) and the International Labour Organization (ILO) are the two implementing partners.
- The successful candidate will head the Programme Support Unit (PSU) that has been established for the implementation of the programme and is comprised of the managerial, technical, financial and administrative staff of the three implementing agencies of the programme(IOM, ICMPD, ILO).
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Oversee and support the functioning of the programme governance and management structures, specifically the Programme Support Unit(PSU) and the Committee for Programme Steering and Coordination (CPSC).
- Coordinate the implementation of all programme activities by the PSU ensuring a smooth and effective transition between the different phases of the programme.
- Coordinate and monitor the administrative, human resources and financial aspects of the programme and supervise IOM programme staff, in close coordination with the Resources Management Officer (RMO).
- Monitor and ensure compliance by the consortium partners with their obligations in implementing the programme as stipulated under the partnership agreements.
- Monitor the activities and results of the programme, and ensure the timely submission of narrative and financial reports to the EU Delegation in Abuja, in accordance with the provisions of the contribution agreement signed between IOM and the EU.
- Ensure regular liaison with and be responsible for representation of the PSU and the programme, to the EU, ECOWAS, and all other project stakeholders.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism.
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders.
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly.
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management.
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Displays mastery of subject matter.
- Contributes to a collegial team environment.
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation.
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners.
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science,International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with eight years of& relevant professional experience.
- University degree in the above fields with ten years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in similar positions of progressive responsibility.
- Experience in the area of migration management.
- Experience in coordinating complex programmes and engaging with multiple partners and stakeholders.
- Experience liaising with regional bodies, governmental authorities, and other international/national institutions.
- Previous work experience in the West African region is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and French is required.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should visit IOM's career website to apply
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly filled in and submitted with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for applications.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application in your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale