IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
- The successful applicant will use the existing GBS data to develop an informative panel of allele specific single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) and be responsible for the applicability/suitability of the SNPs panel for cassava identity validation.
- He or she will also be involved in all aspects of DNA fingerprinting of cassava accessions using this panel.
Terms of Reference
- Conversion of SNP markers from GBS to a panel of informative allele-specific assays (LGC genomics or Illumina SNP chip) for fingerprinting and validation of the identity of accessions within cassava germplasm collection maintained by the GRC.
- DNA fingerprinting of cassava accessions of GRC and use in identity confirmation and studies of genetic relatedness.
- Liaison with external service providers for SNP assays and their interpretation.
- Liaison with GRC Database Manager on storage of fingerprint information linked to accession level information.
- Capacity building of GRC staff and students.
- Contributions to reports and publications.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- The candidate should have a PhD in Plant Genetics, Bioinformatics or related discipline. Experience in DNA markers and their application to crop improvement would be an advantage
- Sound understanding of population genetics and diversity analyses.
- Experience with the analysis of next generation sequencing data.
- Good knowledge of sample tracking systems such Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMs).
- Familiarity with plant genetic resources, diversity analysis and genebanks would be an advantage.
- Basic knowledge in Linux, R and related packages, scripting knowledge would be an advantage.
We offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant's current or previous organization or applicant's direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.
To apply, visit IITA's career website