The U.S. Embassy in Abuja, is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of a Physician
Ref: 2015-018, 2015-075
Location: Abuja - Health Unit
Position Grade: FSN-12/FP-03
Work Hours: Full time; 40 hours/week
- The incumbent provides medical services to approximately 156 direct hire American employees and approximately 85 dependents of all agencies at post as primary care physician.
- S/He sees 377 Foreign Service National employees upon occasion of injury on the job, referring any who become ill at work to their private physicians.
- S/He helps in planning and administering the health program at post, including at - post hospitalizations and medical evacuations.
- S/He serves as consulting and on - call physician for high - level VIP visits when the RMO and/or FSHP are not present.
Note: All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered:
- Medical Degree from the U.S. or western European equivalent is required with a license to practice in Nigeria. Completion of formal U.S. internship, minimum of three years formal residency or equivalent training as certified by the U.S. Office of Medical Services (M/MED) and current U.S. specialty Board certification is required
- Minimum of six (6) years of progressive experience in internal medicine, family medicine, emergency medicine, and OB/GYN. The incumbent must possess the following experience: international medical evacuations and experience of providing medical services during disaster
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English, the use of professional medical terminology is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Must have good working knowledge of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advances Life Support, Advanced Trauma Life Support, and Emergency Preparedness for chemical, biological and radiological situations.
- Regular attendance of the annual Continuing Medical Education (CME) training and seminars to stay current with medical practice at U.S. standards is required.
- Must be sensitive to the needs and feelings of others and have a customer - service orientation.
- When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an overall summary rating of Needs Improvement; or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Salary Or- Ordinarily Resident - N9,045,838.00 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN - 12
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan. NOR - Not Ordinarily Resident - AEFM - US$76,730 EFM/MOH - US$66,067 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP - 03.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for U.S. Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS - 174; plus.
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD - 214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that directly addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- A type written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e - mail) submissions to one entry/e - mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to:
Embassy of the United States of America,
Human Resources Office,
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive,
Central District Area,
Submit to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
Download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.