From emergency response through post-conflict development work, in a great variety of roles around the world, the International Rescue Committee’s 8,000-plus staff is a force for humanity and hope. If you’re skilled and passionate, we’d like to add your energy to ours.
Careers at the IRC are as wide-ranging and far-reaching as our work. Encouraging staff development through promotion, transfer and rehire, the IRC nurtures long-term career paths and helps employees grow within the organization.
At any given moment, on any given day, all around the world, IRC staff members are restlessly and effectively working for the sake of the most vulnerable among us—to restore and renew hope, dignity and freedom.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
The IRC, is seeking a well-qualified Protection Consultant to support two elements of our current programming: 1) to lead protection mainstreaming capacity building efforts and provide qualitative oversight, training of trainers and technical support to organizational and external protection capacity-building activities; and 2) to provide technical support and mentoring to current protection leadership in country to support effective program start up, expansion and business development. The Protection Consultant will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State and will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator, under the supervision of the Senior Program Coordinator, to support the delivery of protection and protection mainstreaming trainings, internal capacity building efforts in the protection sector and provide support/mentorship to the Protection Coordinator in her efforts across protection programming.
Training and capacity building support
- Deliver high quality protection mainstreaming for internal/external actors; conduct Training of Trainers for Protection Manager and Officers to ensure effective handover of capacity building responsibilities to internal staff;
- Serve as quality guarantor for external protection trainings delivered by the IRC following ToT activities;
- Ensure that the protection mainstreaming activities are meeting the project targets and are undertaken within the assigned budgets;
- Support the Protection Mainstreaming team in the Capacity building activities, including through dissemination of training material and practical organizational support (agenda-setting, schedules, etc);
- Deliver high quality trainings to IRC Protection team members on training and monitoring skills;
- Provide guidance in coordination with the M&E team on measuring effectiveness of the protection mainstreaming and protection trainings delivered to external stakeholders and IRC staff.
Tools Review and Development
- Review GPC/IRC protection mainstreaming training modules /material and adapt for the Nigerian context as needed;
- Design/deliver additional and target-group specific internal/external protection training material in line with the programme activities as needed;
- Review the effectiveness of existing protection monitoring tools and reporting systems, provide suggestions for improvement if needed;
- Support the development of protection specific monitoring and evaluation tools as needed.
- Assess protection training needs in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator;
- Identify external training opportunities for the staff;
- Provide mentorship and support to the Protection Coordinator in management, coordination, business development or other areas as requested by the Protection Coordinator;
- Perform other duties as requested by the Protection Coordinator.
- Post-graduate degree in international studies, human rights, law or other relevant subject;
- A solid understanding of general protection and protection mainstreaming issues and governance concepts as they relate to people affected by conflict and the ability to communicate clearly these concepts and issues to a lay audience;
- A solid understanding of international legal frameworks including IHL, HRL, Refugee Law;
- Knowledge of protection monitoring, information dissemination, community-based protection and protection mainstreaming best practice;
- Proven training/capacity building skills in human rights law and protection principles, with particular regard to women, children and other vulnerable groups (i.e. designing modules, delivery trainings, measuring effectiveness);
- Proven leadership, strategic thinking, and coordination skills;
- Strong organizational skills: Ability to coordinate and manage a diverse array of responsibilities;
- Strong interpersonal, team work and diplomatic skills;
- Proven familiarity with international UN and donor processes;
- Fluency in English required;
- Prior experience/knowledge of the context and impact of conflict and displacement in West/East Africa;
- Computer skills, including Word and Excel, and preferably Power-Point and Access;
- Willingness to travel within Nigeria.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant working experience in the field of Protection at the management level, including proven program implementation and capacity building experience, proposal development and report writing;
- Prior work experience with coordinating and undertaking independent field travel to conduct assessments, provide technical advisory support and review programs.
Specific Security Situation/Housing:
Security in Nigeria remains unpredictable and the Protection Consultant is expected to comply with all IRC security policies and procedures applicable to international staff. As of posting, field access and travel is feasible but limited, and candidates should expect periodic further limitations on movement. Shared housing of good standard is provided.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, visit IRC's website on Taleo
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.