The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-governmental organization implementing comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment, Multi-Drug Resistant TB, Malaria and Research Programs, in partnership with the different tiers of the Government of Nigeria, health facilities and Community-based Organizations. IHVN seeks a suitably qualified and experienced person to serve as a Laboratory TB Consultant to work within the Laboratory Department in implementing the laboratory component of the Global Fund New Funding Mechanism for TB.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Basic Functions of the Position
- Overall, this consultant should be able to provide strategic and technical support to laboratory strengthening efforts.
- S/he will promote and support implementation of WHO's TB Laboratory technical recommendations including, policy guidance on appropriate TB laboratory technologies, infrastructure and bio-safety, and best-practices.
- Other functions include: laboratory capacity development, including technology transfer and know-how, monitoring and evaluation, and quality improvement; interface with other laboratory networks to facilitate integration; human resource development, including training and mentoring.
Key Working Relationships:
- Associate Director Global Fund Programs (Office of the Chief Executive Officer)
- Director & Head of Department, Clinical Laboratory Services.
As part of the Terms of Reference, the Laboratory TB Consultant will play leading role in:
- Developing/updating the TB laboratory component of National Strategic Plan (in support of NTBLCP).
- Assisting in the development or optimization of national laboratory policies.
- Promoting interaction and collaboration with laboratory stakeholders at national and zonal levels by serving on National Laboratory Technical Working Groups (TWG).
- Assistingthe National Laboratory TWG to develop a strategy to improve human resources for laboratory management.
- Ensuring the implementation of Quality Management Systems with the purpose of strengthening of laboratory quality systems including, development of quality manual, safety manual, audits, testing, developing standard operating procedures (SOPs), national documents developed along with NTBLCP Laboratory Team.
- Working with the TB reference laboratories to attain international laboratory standards towards accreditation using of the Global Laboratory Initiative (GLI) stepwise process towards accreditation with other tools and checklists for implementation of Quality Management Systems.
- Contributing to development of a National TB Quality Assurance Policy (based on recently introduced National Quality Assurance Policy) including all Quality Assurance/Quality Control pharma (incl. pharmacovigilance) and laboratory areas (incl. External Quality Assurance for all technologies includingGeneXpert) in close collaboration with National Laboratory TWG and concerned national agencies like National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN),National Product Supply Chain Management Program (NPSCMP) of the Food and Drugs Services (FDS) etc.
- Reviewingnational guidance on engineering requirement for different risk level TB laboratories.
- Providing expertise in clinical/laboratory diagnosis of HIV/AIDS-related opportunistic HIV/TB infections.
- Supporting the development of mechanism on establishing linkages between the National Reference Laboratories and Zonal Reference Laboratories with a view to ensuring linked referral services and timely reporting.
- Advising and recommending best practices on sample logistics from the peripheral laboratories to testing centers thus ensuring a timely Turnaround time (TAT)
- Providing guidance for the standardization and selection of vendors for equipment and reagents and following-up on the Biotech unit to ensure all equipment platforms are warrantied and regularly maintained, and to ensure zero downtime.
- Develop equipment management systems for GeneXpert and other laboratory equipment platforms.
- Reviewing and advising on equipment and supplies list for zonal and national reference laboratories – logistics and commodity management.
- Assisting in setting up ofLine Probe Assay (LPA) and culture laboratories – from site assessment, design, equipment installation, training and mentoring (hands on).
- Advising and recommending best practices on first-line and second line Drug Suceptibility Testing (DST) for Tuberculosis Reference Laboratories (TRLs) and to ensure they are done.
- Providing onsite technical support (bench training) to the laboratory network by mentoring of laboratory staff.
- Capacity building of laboratory staff through trainings, including on-the-job mentoring, peer network development and online support.
- Formulating research questions and conducting of research to facilitate improved implementation.
- Contributing to the development of a National GeneXpert laboratory management plan with concerned stakeholders (National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program (NTBLCP), National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA), MLSCN, development partners etc.)
- Contributing to selection, roll-out and improvement of the National Laboratory Information Management System for DR-TB in an integrated way with Drug Sensitive TB (DS -TB) where possible.
- Considering all laboratory IMS needs linked to GxAlert, e-TB Manager, HIV/TB integration etc. and developing a system to track laboratory commodity consumption and avoid expiries and stock-outs.
- Supporting the rollout of Gx Alert or similar remote monitoring system for GeneXpert and preparing quarterly reports on WHO recommended indicators.
Qualifications and Skills
- B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory Sciences or Medical Microbiology but preferably a Master's degree in Medical Microbiology
- At least 10 years of experience in TB microbiology.
- The candidate is also expected to be a practitioner licensed by the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) or with professional membership acceptable to MLSCN.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to "Associate Director, Human Resources" through this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Application must explicitly state the position and location applied for in the subject of the email e.g. Laboratory TB Consultant. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with functional email addresses and telephone numbers.
Note: Only applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short listed candidates will be contacted.