Malaria Consortium is one of the world's leading non-profit organisations dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of Programs and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. The organisation works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Length of contract: 2 - 3 years
Reports To: Chief of Party
Direct Reports: Specialists and Operations Officer
Malaria is highly endemic in Nigeria and it remains one of the leading causes of childhood and maternal morbidity and mortality in the country. Nigeria is deeply committed to making progress towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals and it recognizes the fact that, without firm efforts to control malaria, achievement of the targets related to child mortality, maternal mortality, and reducing the burden of communicable disease will not be possible. Malaria therefore constitutes a significant development challenge for Nigeria. In 1998 the Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Partnership was launched in Nigeria as a dynamic movement involving all stakeholders affected by or concerned with Malaria. Although Nigeria is a signatory to the Abuja Declaration of year 2000, the agreed targets have not been achieved.
The USAID / PMI have been funding malaria activities in Nigeria since 2010 details of which are Malaria Operational Plans for each of the financial year and these funds are challenged through various USAID / PMI funded program and funding mechanisms. USAID / PMI recently issued a notification of a new five year program focused on malaria case management in Nigeria, using IDIQ contract mechanism and task orders on specific areas of work to be executed within the overall contract. This program will strengthen delivery of malaria case management: delivery of quality services for management of malaria and its complications, prevention of malaria in pregnancy, and integrated community case management.
- To provide overall technical leadership of the malaria program ensuring that the interventions are of high technical quality and implemented on time and within budget.
- The position holder will work closely with the National and State Malaria Elimination Programs to see that the optimal benefits from USAID funded project are realized. 2
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- The main roles and responsibilities of the Malaria Technical Advisor will be
- To provide strategic technical directions of the program, working with other senior staff and Chief of Party (CoP) to develop and periodically refine program strategies.
- To coordinate the development of the technical aspects of the program implementation approaches, ensuring appropriate consultations with stakeholders at all levels
- To provide technical support to relevant branches in NMEP.
- Ensure the program, NMEP and states link malaria control activities within a health systems strengthening approach
- To provide technical input into the program monitoring and evaluation
- To represent the program in malaria technical sub-committees and other meetings as agreed with the Chief of Party (CoP)
- Line manages program specialists and operations officer
- Line manages medium to long-term consultants as agreed by the Chief of Party (CoP)
- Liaise with the Malaria Consortium Country Office to plan and ensure quality and adequate management and technical support for the project
Qualifications and Experience
- Medical Degree and postgraduate qualification in Public Health, Epidemiology, International Health or related discipline
- Extensive experience in malaria control in Nigeria or other parts of Sub Saharan Africa.
- Proven technical skills in malaria, including malaria case management
- Experience and understanding of working with Ministries of Health in policy and strategy formulation
- Experience and understanding of Nigerian health systems context
- Significant experience in project management
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Experience working on USAID/PMI funded Programs would be an advantage
- Experience of training health workers, preferably both public and private sector
- Demonstrable experience in technical writing such as peer-reviewed publications
Work Based Skills and Competencies
- Strong technical knowledge and skills in malaria control
- Familiar with monitoring and evaluation of large scale malaria control Programs
- Excellent writing, reporting and presentation skills
- Strong analytical ability
- Excellent project management and planning skills
- Good budgeting skills
- Good communication skills with a variety of audiences inside and outside the organisation
- Able to delegate efficiently and technically support teams with no direct line management responsibility over them
- Strong skills in negotiating with and engaging Ministry of Health Officials at all levels of the health system
- Excellent personal and time management skills
- Good understanding of cost effectiveness analysis
- Excellent team management skills
- Good understanding of Value for Money and application of the principles in Program design and implementation
- Comfortable participating in health advocacy activities
Other Key Information:
- Travel involved Some in-country travel (20%) and occasional international travel.
Salary: USD 53,029-59,657.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit Malaria Consortium's Career Page
Note: Availability of the position is contingent upon issuance of a USAID funding mechanism, and selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale