If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
In 1965, Clark Abt expressed a single, noble goal—to create a world free of war and poverty. The visionary set to work establishing Abt Associates. Over the next half century, the company became known as a bold, innovative and effective agent of social change, committed to improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. Today, Abt Associates continues to be a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators
Essential Job Responsibilities / Percentage of Time:
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Directly manages and oversees the financial management, accounting and procurement team of the PATHS2 project (Abuja accountant(s), cashier(s) and procurement specialist(s))
- Indirectly manages and oversees the financial management, accounting and procurement team of the PATHS2 state offices in Enugu and Lagos to ensure consistency in PATHS2 financial management and accounting procedures and implementation.
- Oversee adherence to programme Standard Operating Procedures and manage compliance procedures.
- Oversee project procurement efforts that comply with Abt’s policies and the programme’s Standard Operating Procedures and ensure value for money.
- Support efforts to develop month-by-month activity work plans and budgets with SMT and technical teams.
- Develop and maintain system to track local accruals and obligations, including subcontractors, vendors, and consultants.
- Provides training to field staff on project financial procedures as well as building skill-levels of project staff in the area of finance and budgeting.
- Responsible for oversight, preparation, and submission of integrated financial reports for the entire PATHS2 operation in Nigeria for both client reporting and Government of Nigeria reporting requirements.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for all major project banking transactions; reviews monthly bank reconciliation for submission with the monthly Remote Office Voucher (ROV).
- Responsible for oversight, preparation, and submission of the Remote Office Voucher (ROV) to Abt International Accounting department in the US, including all receipts invoices field expense reports, reimbursements, both electronically and in original form with full complete accurate original documentation of all field-based costs.
- Prepares budgets, including the review and finalization of projects’ monthly cash flow projections from each of the state office and prepares monthly wire transfer requests to ensure that the project maintains adequate funds for all technical operations. The Senior Finance Manager also confirms receipt of all Abt cash transfers and monitors availability of funds in Petty Cash accounts to support all field based operations.
- Monitors and strictly enforces travel advances, issuing and reimbursement procedures for all local staff and expats.
- Reviews and approves all check requests and documentation
- Responsible for the management and control of petty cash payments, controls and procedures, including preparation and certification of the monthly cash count.
- Assists in internal and external audits
- Creates and maintains financial reporting and tracking systems providing data measurements on financial performance of project and project activities.
- Prepares budgets and revenue plans for project programming and corporate reporting.
- Serves as project's contact with client on finance issues. Assist the NPM and the DNPM with negotiations with client on contract issues and actions and follow up on client requests and concerns.
- Develops and implements accounting and reporting systems for project expenditures, and provides guidance and training to project staff and partners on financial procedures
- Leads procurement efforts for the project, selection and negotiation with vendors, and management of subcontractors on project. Ensures value for money in all procurement actions
- Reviews purchase orders/purchase requisitions to ensure terns and conditions are met and value for money in vendor selection
- Reviews and tracks the completeness and accuracy of all vendor and consultant invoices, bills and other financial claims made against the PATHS2 project in the normal course of business.
- Regularly reviews and assesses field financial procedures and reports any discrepancies or changes. Enforces strict adherence to the PATHS2 project’s authority matrix
- Implement financial and administrative policies and procedures that meet project needs and corporate and client requirements.
- Oversees field staff payroll preparation and controls. Prepares and/or supervises the accurate, consistent and regular monthly calculation and payment of PAYE and other payroll taxes deductions
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s Degree (required) or Master’s Degree (desirable), in Accounting, Finance, Business, Management, or other relevant field.
- 12 years of relevant professional experience in project management, contract administration, financial management, and/or program operations.
- Experience with QuickBooks
- Five or more years of international project management experience, preferably in West Africa.
- Experience with DFID is a plus.
- Experience in Nigeria is a plus.
- Experience in project implementation.
- Excellent writing, computer, management and organizational skills.
- Successful track record as financial manager.
- Experience successfully managing sizable staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, initiative, and good judgment.
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy.
go to method of application »
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Composes and types routine correspondence.
- Prepares routine reports.
- Enters financial information into databases.
- Makes travel arrangements for staff.
- Orders and maintains office supplies and equipment.
- Maintains filing systems.
- Serves as receptionist.
- Responds to client or Area Office requests for information.
- Assists with conference/meeting logistics.
- (2+) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit ABT Associate's Career Page on Success Factors