The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The Human Development Department (OSHD) is in charge of the Bank’s interventions in the social sector (including education, health and social protection). The Department carries out its work within the overall goal of poverty reduction and in conformity with established Bank policies and strategies on education, health, and social protection. The Department includes three Divisions: (i) Health (OSHD.3), (ii) Education, Science and Technology (OSHD.2), and (iii) Poverty Reduction and Social Protection (OSHD.1). The OSHD is guided by the Bank’s Human Capital Development Strategy which focuses on increasing competitiveness and employment opportunities; ensuring value for money and accountability for improved service delivery; and ensuring inclusion and social cohesion.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Managers of OSHD.1 and OSHD.3, the incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide operational support to OSHD.3 Division Manager;
- Manage the division's database and perform any task related to data entry and analysis as required;
- Manage the electronic data archiving system of the Division;
- Establish a database to track disbursements, on-going projects, aged projects-related disbursements, problem projects, potential problem projects and those to be supervised;
- Monitor projects to be implemented and those whose last disbursements dates need to be extended;
- Facilitate training on the use of the Bank-wide Project Processing Schedule (BPPS) to ensure teamwork, transparency and accountability in the process of reviewing operations for Bank documents to be submitted to the Board for approval or information;
- Ensure regular information update on projects included in loan programmes;
- Support Division Managers, Lead Sector Experts and OSHD Project Managers in managing OpsCom's (Operations Committee) schedule and coordinate with teams, as appropriate, including the two regional resource centres and field offices;
- Assist in preparing documents, briefing notes, spreadsheets and correspondence necessary to manage projects / programmes;
- Take notes during meetings, draft correspondence and prepare minutes as requested;
- Coordinate matters related to SAP, BPPS and other information technology aspects with the Corporate IT Services Department (CIMM), and provide assistance to Division Managers, Lead Sector Experts and Project Managers;
- Manage all logistics issues-related to OpsCom's weekly meetings and organize other meetings, appointments, lunches and events to ensure these activities are responsibly managed;
- Perform any other operational support duties requested by OSHD Management and any other duties deemed necessary to Division Managers.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Bachelor degree or its equivalent in public administration, management, Information Technology or related field.
- At least five (5) years relevant practical data management experience, with progressively higher responsibilities in an international organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Working experience with multilateral development banks.
- Proven high level initiative, enthusiasm and team spirit.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of the Bank’s standard software (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP will be an asset.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit AfDB's Career Website