The MRC Unit, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council's largest establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research in a developing country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Diarrhoea is the second leading cause of death among children less than 5 years of age. Global Enteric Multicentre Study (GEMS) demonstrated that rotavirus was the most common etiology of moderate to severe diarrhoea (MSD) during the first 2 years of life. Montoring the impact and effectiveness of programmatic introduction of the rotavirus vaccine in The Gambia is a high priority.
The impact of vaccine introduction on the epidemiology of diarrheal diseases will likely extend beyond changes in rotavirus-associated morbidity and mortality alone; shifts in the predominant pathogens and adverse outcomes associated with MSD are also expected.
The study is utilizing the established GEMS infrastructure and methodology to conduct a 36-month case-control study of MSD in The Gambia to provide a detailed assessment of the changes in incidence, etiology, and adverse clinical outcomes of MSD that emerge now that the rotavirus vaccine is in use in The Gambia.
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment as a Senior Scientific Officer for the Study. The post-holder will be based at MRC Falara and will be responsible for the molecular aspects of the VIDA study.
- S/he will be assigned other tasks within the molecular microbiology laboratory and will be required to assist with the management of other team members within the molecular microbiology laboratory.
- A PhD in molecular Biology/Microbiology or equivalent,
- At least 2 years research experience in molecular microbiology research
- Hands on experience with real time PCR. quantitation using the TaqMan Array Cards (TAC), multiplex PCR, pathogen genomics, bioinformatics.
- Experience with bacteriologic culture of diarrheal pathogens and immunoassays for the detection of Giardia, Entamoeba and Crytosporidium.
- A strong track record of publication in peer reviewed journals,
- Ability to supervise staff, ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
- Willingness to work outside working hours when required according to sample delivery.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Good communication skills including scientific discussion and writing.
- Experience with computer-based analyses and presentation of experimental data.
- MSc in Molecular Biology/Microbiology.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct demanding laboratory work in a productive and disciplined manner.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a diverse team.
- Experience of working according to ICH-GCP.
- Practical experience working in large multi-center studies.
- Practical experience with performing EQAs.
- Practical experience working in a developing country,
- Experience in writing SOP for laboratory procedures.
- Record of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Remuneration and Important Information
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2 of MRC Unit, The Gambia's payscaleat a gross monthly salary of 71, 223 Dalasi and net monthly salary of 59, 977 Dalasi, This converts to a gross salary of $1, 780 and a net pay of $1, 499 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi/U$D exchange rate.
- Note: The salary will be paid in Dalasi and that the USC) figure quoted is only given as a guide,
- For displaced staff the package will include rent, free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects.
- The appointment is for 2 years and is subject to a probationary period of six months,
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send an email to: email@example.com to request an MRC Application Form and the Job Description.
Completed application forms, together with copies of qualification and a recent CV's should be sent to:
Human Resources Office,
Vacancy for: Senior Scientific Officer (VIDA),
MRC Unit, Fajara,
P.O. Box 273,
Telephone: 00220 4495442-6, 00220 4494072-9
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.mrc.gm