If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The MRC Unit, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council's largest establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research in a developing country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Diarrhoea is the second leading cause of death among children less than 5 years of age. Global Enteric Multicentre Study (GEMS) demonstrated that rotavirus was the most common etiology of moderate to severe diarrhoea (MSD) during the first 2 years of life. Montoring the impact and effectiveness of programmatic introduction of the rotavirus vaccine in The Gambia is a high priority.
The impact of vaccine introduction on the epidemiology of diarrheal diseases will likely extend beyond changes in rotavirus-associated morbidity and mortality alone; shifts in the predominant pathogens and adverse outcomes associated with MSD are also expected.
The study is utilizing the established GEMS infrastructure and methodology to conduct a 36-month case-control study of MSD in The Gambia to provide a detailed assessment of the changes in incidence, etiology, and adverse clinical outcomes of MSD that emerge now that the rotavirus vaccine is in use in The Gambia.
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment as a Senior Scientific Officer for the Study. The post-holder will be based at MRC Falara and will be responsible for the molecular aspects of the VIDA study.
- S/he will be assigned other tasks within the molecular microbiology laboratory and will be required to assist with the management of other team members within the molecular microbiology laboratory.
- A PhD in molecular Biology/Microbiology or equivalent,
- At least 2 years research experience in molecular microbiology research
- Hands on experience with real time PCR. quantitation using the TaqMan Array Cards (TAC), multiplex PCR, pathogen genomics, bioinformatics.
- Experience with bacteriologic culture of diarrheal pathogens and immunoassays for the detection of Giardia, Entamoeba and Crytosporidium.
- A strong track record of publication in peer reviewed journals,
- Ability to supervise staff, ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
- Willingness to work outside working hours when required according to sample delivery.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Good communication skills including scientific discussion and writing.
- Experience with computer-based analyses and presentation of experimental data.
- MSc in Molecular Biology/Microbiology.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct demanding laboratory work in a productive and disciplined manner.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a diverse team.
- Experience of working according to ICH-GCP.
- Practical experience working in large multi-center studies.
- Practical experience with performing EQAs.
- Practical experience working in a developing country,
- Experience in writing SOP for laboratory procedures.
- Record of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Remuneration and Important Information
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2 of MRC Unit, The Gambia's payscaleat a gross monthly salary of 71, 223 Dalasi and net monthly salary of 59, 977 Dalasi, This converts to a gross salary of $1, 780 and a net pay of $1, 499 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi/U$D exchange rate.
- Note: The salary will be paid in Dalasi and that the USC) figure quoted is only given as a guide,
- For displaced staff the package will include rent, free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects.
- The appointment is for 2 years and is subject to a probationary period of six months,
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send an email to: email@example.com to request an MRC Application Form and the Job Description.
Completed application forms, together with copies of qualification and a recent CV's should be sent to:
Human Resources Office,
Vacancy for: Senior Scientific Officer (VIDA),
MRC Unit, Fajara,
P.O. Box 273,
Telephone: 00220 4495442-6, 00220 4494072-9
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.mrc.gm