MSH, a Non-Governmental Organisation with head office in Boston USA, has been in existence for over 40 years implementing projects and programs in over 40 countries across the globe. In Nigeria, MSH implements several projects including the Leadership, Management and Sustainability project. USAID recently modified MSH ProACT project as part of the USG rationalization initiative to support the Government of Nigeria to effectively and efficiently prevent and control HIV/AIDS in the country. MSH currently supports following services: HIV counselling and Testing, PMTCT, Adult and Paediatric ART, TB/HI and OVC in 41 comprehensive are and treatment health facilities in Nigeria.
MSH seeks a skilled new Business Development Manager based in West Africa to lead its market positioning activities in the West Africa region. The Business Development Manager will gather market intelligence from the global health donor community and effectively communicate it to program development teams. S/he will contribute to the development and execution of MSH business strategies and plans at the regional and local levels and will lead positioning efforts for the designated portfolio. The manager will also work closely with MSH staff in the country offices to help develop their skills in business development.
- Monitor trends at the regional and national level (focus countries) to anticipate new procurements or technical shifts.
- Maintain regular communication with MSH Country Representatives and Project Directors in designated geographic portfolio to assess new developments.
- Develop methods to systematically gather and disseminate intelligence across MSH.
- Contribute to development and execution of MSH business strategies and plans at regional and country levels.
- Lead positioning efforts for designated geographic portfolio, including compiling and maintaining key reference documents, maintaining networks of international and local partners and staff, conducting competitive analyses, participating in positioning trips, and finalizing pre-teaming agreements.
- Work with country and project staff to conduct intelligence gathering and positioning activities, and ensure alignment of efforts with MSH business strategies and plans.
- Refine and implement strategies to ensure that Country Representatives, Project Directors and other country staff in designed geographic portfolio have critical skills needed to maximize their participation in business development activities.
- Develop metrics to promote accountability for business development among country staff, monitor and report on progress quarterly. Examine MSH structures and procedures to ensure that they adequately support business development goals.
- Provide training, coaching, and mentoring support to country new business specialists in designated geographic region.
- Advanced degree in public health, international development or related field required;
- 7 years of professional experience in global health, with at least two years of field experience in a developing country;
- Strong written and verbal proficiency in English and French.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and COMPETENCIES:
- Comprehensive understanding and knowledge of public health and funding trends in developing countries.
- Demonstrated success in securing funding for public health projects through major donor solicitations with USAID and/or other donors.
- Proven track record in building and maintaining successful relationships with partner organizations, donors and other external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success in designing and implementing strategies to effectively improve the business development skills of staff in developing countries.
- Strong organizational skills, and ability to multi-task and manage multiple competing priorities and staff in remote locations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to manage proposal processes and team relationships to ensure effective collaboration by various contributors to the process, including contributors from multiple offices/units of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and flexibly in a deadline oriented environment and experience managing cross-cultural teams across time zones.
- Ability to develop and manage results-oriented capacity development initiatives among senior staff.
- West Africa; flexibility on exact location.
- Ability to accommodate international, regional and U.S. travel, as needed (30% time).
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
Senior Manager, Business Development