Mackinnon Bruce International is working in close partnership with a Global Shipping business in their search for a Group General Manager – Business Process (Finance Manager) to join their business in Lagos, Nigeria. This is a permanent, expat position which will require the successful candidate to be both ‘hands-on’ and strategic at times with prior experience in a West African expat environment, preferably from within the broader transportation industry.Reports to: Managing Director, Nigeria.
Team: accounting department 4 direct reports with 16 total persons in the team.
Responsible for all accounting processes in the business in Nigeria including financial planning, reporting and advising the board. Part of the Management Team for the Nigeria Group of companies and four offices across country.
- Directs the development and maintenance of the financial system of accounting, budgeting and reporting, including formulation of policies, procedures and practices as may be necessary for effective financial control of the company, including subsidiaries and associated companies’ books maintained in Nigeria.
- Analyses and interprets financial reports and assists the Management in appraising the activities of the different departments in terms of financial results, to facilitate corrective action, whenever required; proactively supports management with critical and important information.
- In co-operation with the Managing Director and General Managers plan and execute financial decisions regards to payment, funds transfer and accountability of company assets and principal’s advance deposits and others financial instruments.
- To prepare official and management reporting in accordance with the companies Financial Guide and Accounting Manual, consolidate with follow up of the company budget and other financial positions.
- To activate and lead the development of routines and systems related to company invoicing, disbursement and principals related accounts.
- To prepare, propose and monitor investments in relation to projects agreed by management and or principals.
- Responsible for funds and working capital management of the Company. Meets the long and short term financial requirements of the company by means of loans, and active Treasury Management. Monitor and leads, in accordance with corporate norms, the; receipt, control and disbursement of funds, credit limits, collection of dues / debtors, closing of jobs
- To make sure proper reconciliations are carried out with major authorities and local customers such as Nigerian Ports Authority, National Maritime Authority etc.
- Co-ordinates, together with the MD, the internal audit of the Company and directs and co-ordinates the development of effective internal control procedures and practices.
- Establish and follow-up “early warning” systems and routines.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with banks, other financial institutions and auditors.
- Responsible for the organization of the accounting staff and work and making sure all employees have competence for their position. Motivate and develop the accounting employees and enhance skills levels. Plan training needs.
- Integration of all software with Dolphin (Accounting program) and Dolphin System Owner.
- Managing Director
- Accounts Department
- Group General Manager, Projects
- General Manager, Liner
- Manager – NYK
- Manager - Manning
- HR Manager
- IT Supervisor
- Group Financial Management
- Regional Business Controller
- Vendors VIP Payroll/ Pastel support / Winjit software
Desired Skills and Experience
- Good English language skills, both written and oral
- Computer knowledge (Word, Excel, MS-Outlook, Group software, Pastel)
- Shipping, logistics & marine offshore knowledge preferred
- In-depth knowledge of accounting and auditing procedures
- Good knowledge of corporate tax, vat , paye and withholding tax
- Good knowledge and exposure to IFRS reporting
- Ability to work independently
- Held a position as Finance Manager previously
- Experience of working in West/East Africa (or similar locations)
- Supervise & develop staff
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good negotiating skills
- Strong personality
- Hands on
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
- University graduate in accounting / economics
- Professional qualification viz.,Chartered accountant or Cost & Management Accountant
- Designations CA / CPA / CMA