African Development Bank (AfDB) established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and the Government, is recruiting to fill the position of Division Manager - CERD.1
Position N°: 50065058
The African Development Bank Group is a multilateral development finance institution established in 1964 to fight poverty and promote sustainable economic growth and social progress in Africa. It has made some $110 billion of loans and grants, in more than 4000 different operations. In 2014, it disbursed some $7.3 billion. The Bank’s communications strategy for the period 2015-2020 sets out two main objectives:
- To increase the visibility and understanding of the Bank as the African continent’s premier development finance institution.
- To champion the cause of African development by communicating the Bank’s actions and its advocacy, and thereby to promote economic development (itself).
The Communications and External Relations Department (CERD) is tasked with driving forward this agenda, and coordinating, equipping and empowering a network of communicators across the Bank. The Communications and External Relations Department is split into two:
- A Communications Division (CERD.1) carrying out the team’s day-to-day work in media relations, editorial & content, multi-media, design, branding and publications.
- An External Relations Division (CERD.2) overseeing external affairs and partnerships, as well as coordinating the foundations of Bank communications work in Headquarters and in the field. CERD.2 also has a ‘Front Office’ function in overseeing all CERD strategy and policy, its institutional relationships within the Bank.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibility for the planning, management, implementation, budgeting and evaluation of all tasks within the Communications Division (CERD.1) , i.e.:
- Media relations - supervising relations with media, and especially the proactive relations of working with Divisions to plan a strategic media presence, placing media stories, building media relationships
- Editorial and content - following and covering the Bank’s news agenda across all platforms (web, social media) for audiences both internal and external: ongoing management of weekly news flows; planning forward coverage to focus on countries, projects, themes; writing, editing, translating and posting such stories
- Multi-media work - managing the in-house audio-visual studio; supervising all Bank a/v products from films/documentaries to video clips; taking, managing and storing photographs; ensuring the good architecture and functionality of the website and other media platforms; data basing and archiving
- Design - overseeing execution of graphic design for both print and electronic products, infography, etc.
- Branding - safeguarding and promoting the Bank’s visual and written identity
- Publications - conceiving, writing/editing and giving production support for a coherent Bank literature programme
- Overseeing cooperation with the External Relations Division of CERD (CERD.2), as above: outreach/partnership, internal coordination, policy & institutional relations - there will be considerable overlap)
- Undertaking other strategic, managerial and implementation activities assigned by the CERD Director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master's degree in Communications sciences, international relations, economics and/or development studies, journalism, marketing/branding, or related fields.
- At least eight (8) years of relevant communications experience - especially in the areas of editorial and media relations - ideally in similar roles in international development.
- At least five (5) years in a similarly demanding and complex management role.
- Proven record of achievements in development/project/knowledge communications, with a focus on results.
- Thorough knowledge of international development issues; good knowledge of Africa and its social and economic challenges.
- Demonstrated oral and written communications skills.
- Languages: Written and spoken fluency in either French or English, with a very strong knowledge of the other language.
- Proven leadership skills; proven ability to advise and manage high-volume and high-complexity communications programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to accommodate high and shifting workloads with tight deadlines under pressure.
- Proven understanding of communications and branding techniques, and the ability to produce timely and appropriate products including publications, briefing materials, multimedia products and information adapted to the need of various forms of media, and various different audiences
- Strong strategic and analytical skills.
go to method of application »
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the incumbent will:
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender issues at all stages of the project cycle, from planning through evaluation;
- Collaborate with other staff in the Department to ensure the incorporation of gender issues in its work;
- Participate in Working Groups and Peer Review to ensure that projects documents prepared by the Department adequately address gender issues;
- Participate in operational missions and the drafting of project documents in order to promote the implementation of the Bank’s gender policy, ensure that women are consulted and enhance the level of gender analysis of program/project;
- Support the inclusion of gender in all program/project activities especially gender balance in project staff teams, training, and beneficiaries;
- Assess the potential gender impact of proposed projects; conduct or draft Terms of Reference for gender assessments and analysis and propose mitigating measures as required;
- Work with Task Managers to develop innovative approaches to women in development (WID) stand-alone projects and projects with gender components;
- Assist in developing indicators to monitor the gender impact of Bank supported projects;
- Review on-going projects with regard to gender impact and propose remedial measures as appropriate;
- Collect and make available to Regional Departments (RD) staff gender-disaggregated data and other gender-related information on each of these countries (for example in the form of country-level “Gender Profiles”);
- Liaise with key gender-related NGOs, multilateral organizations and national institutions in countries served by the RD for purposes of information-sharing, networking and operational collaboration;
- Initiate specific studies related to gender and development for the purpose of project formulation, supervision and post evaluation;
- Ensure that Project Completion Reports specifically identify gender gaps and reflect gender related project success and learning experience;
- Prepare and submit yearly reports on progress made in mainstreaming gender issues into the Bank’s operations;
- Coordinate with Special Envoy on Gender Office and Gender and Social Monitoring Division on issues related to gender policy, capacity building and interagency collaboration;
- Contribute to research and studies relevant to gender policy development and implementation and/or contribute to gender sensitization and skill building activities.
- Follow-up on the implementation of the Bank’s Gender Strategy at the level of the water and sanitation projects
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s degree in Gender studies, economics, rural development, social development, social studies or related areas;
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in Gender analysis, research and advocacy skills, conducting gender impact assessments and/or designing/implementing gender and development projects;
- Demonstrable understanding of regional social issues, analysis and policy formulation; knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries is a must.
- Ability to work independently and be creative and innovative;
- Integrity and ability to work in teams;
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, and preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
To apply for these positions, use the links below:
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.