Engineering Job Position at InterContinental Lagos
Posted on: 16 September, 2015
Deadline: 14 October, 2015
View Jobs in Hospitality
View All Jobs at InterContinental Hotels
InterContinental Lagos is located on Victoria Island, in the centre of Lagos home to the majority of foreign embassies and multinational companies, making it the perfect residence for affluent business and diplomatic travellers. Built on an elevated terrain overlooking Lagos's port and the city below, the 19 storey hotel offers uninterrupted, spectacular views of Lagos Skyline. InterContinental Lagos comprises of 352 well-appointed, elegantly decorated rooms and suites as well as a Club InterContinental floor.
What is your passion? Whether you're into tennis, baking or karaoke, at IHG we're interested in YOU. We employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our progressive & committed opening team at the InterContinental Lagos.
We are currently recruiting for the position below:
- To promote a professional and positive image to all our Guests and contribute to the hotel’s targets by providing and coordinating a rapid response to relevant Guest’s requests, inquiries, needs and general welfare.
- Promote the desired work culture around the five core values of Trust, Integrity, Respect, One Team and Service of the InterContinental Hotels Group and the brand ethos.
Promotes the IHG Winning Ways:
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and in the Know which means we need you to:
- Be charming: By being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
- Stay in the moment: By understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive,
- result oriented and taking ownership of getting things done.
- Make it memorable: By being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to
- create moments that make people feel special.
- CORE Duties and Responsibilities
- Regularly provide technical and administrative assistance to the Director of Engineering and to assist him in the operational aspect of the Engineering Department.
- Direct the installation and repair of all electrical, mechanical and architectural systems throughout the property to ensure safety and efficiency, according to IHG established standards.
- Assist the Director of Engineering with staff issues and responds to emergency situations.
- Liaise with all departments - Rooms Division (Front Office, Laundry, Housekeeping), Executive Offices, Human Resources, Foods & Beverages, Finance, IT, Sales & Marketing and Training Manager etc. to generate the required information about Guests, follow-up on issues/complaint on ESCAP and other channels, promote effective communication and act within the specified scope.
- Maintain, control and ensure safety standard and procedures always. Perform other tasks at the level of the role as directed by the Chief Engineer in pursuit of the achievement of the Hotels business goals and objectives.
- Generate timely and accurate reports as and when needed etc.
- Give adequate support to the Director of Engineering in resolving problems to minimize loss of income.
- Work flexible schedules including weekends and holidays
- Acts as liaison between hotel and vendors to review latest in hotel technology and products. Attends Engineering training to educate self in latest products to be used in the hotel to increase guest satisfaction and cut cost
- Visually inspects quality of work and directs staff and outside contractors in tasks according to performance and productivity standards in the most cost effective way
- Save Cost through regular assignment and verification of job completion of routine maintenance and operations of physical structure of hotel, all mechanical, electrical, HVAC systems and any other related equipment which contributes to the safe and effective operation of the facility.
- Save cost by cultivating and imbibing the culture of preventative maintenance, ensuring keeping of logs on work done, scheduling and the assignment of projects and other related tasks in a more cost effective manner
- Regularly Review and priotize work orders and assign work to save cost through effective time management
- Assist the Engineering Director in the ensuring raising of Purchase Requisition for supplies and the issuance of purchase orders in a timely and cost effective manner
- Save cost through timely delivery on assignment/ Improve turn-around time.
- Work with and oversees the Engineering Colleagues under his supervision on a shift basis and coordinates their activities.
- Assume the full responsibility for the Engineering Department in the absence of the Director of Engineering Services to avoid delays in repairs completion and delivery
- Participates in performance review, progressive discipline & associate development programs.
- Generate new ideas and encourage creativity from your staff.
- Maintain on-going training with departmental staff to ensure warm and engaging service, and the ability to anticipate our guests’ every need with care and thoughtfulness.
- Acts as Director of Engineering in absence of the Director in such capacities as hiring, counseling and training. Takes on the responsibility of completing any special projects that were the responsibility of the Director.
- Inspire others to excel by clearly communicating business values and direction, recognizing good performance and providing managerial support
- Develop potential of others through coaching and development opportunities to build organization capability for the future
- Understands and takes into account the global nature of the business; works effectively with colleagues from different viewpoints, cultures and countries
- Familiarize with the company vision and values with link to our model of desired behaviours that we expect all colleagues to display
- Have the desire and ability to improve your knowledge and abilities through on-going trainings.
- Ensure orientation Program for all new colleagues to enable him settle down on the job as quickly as possible
- Avoid performing duties under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Complies with company grooming and uniform standards.
- Actively participates in training and development programs and maximises opportunities for self-development.
- Follow-up to ensure timely resolution of all matters affecting the welfare of colleagues under your supervision as well as the ones which might affect the smooth running of the hotel.
- Demonstrate service attributes in accordance with industry expectations and IHG standards
- Must be passionate about providing warm, engaging and personalized service
- Be accurate and ensure prompt fulfilment of guest requests
- Understand and anticipate guest needs
- Maintain a high level of knowledge which will enhance the guest experience
- Demonstrate a service attitude that exceeds expectations
- Take appropriate action to resolve guest complaints
- Be able to promote the hotel (and InterContinental Hotels Group generally) products and services.
- Maintain a high level of product and service knowledge about all InterContinental Hotels Group hotels in our region and all Engineering Activities
- Communicates with Chief Engineer any difficulties, guests or internal customer comments and other relevant information. Handles guest complaints in the correct manner.
- Assist in ensuring a safe work environment at all times, including reporting improper safety behaviors and work related injuries to appropriate department immediately.
- Must maintain a professional, neat and organized appearance according to IHG standards
- Communicate effectively with the government officials to ensure proper maintenance of permits and licenses, coordinating inspections with the appropriate department
- Ensure compliance with relevant employment laws and hotel or company policies and procedures.
- Propagate and see to full implementation of the Hotel’s Green Engage policy
- Comply with the company corporate code of conduct at all times
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
- Familiarise yourself with emergency and evacuation procedures
- Demonstrate an understanding and an awareness of all policies and procedures relating to Health, Hygiene and Fire Life Safety
Qualifications and Requirements
- The ideal candidates will possess a bachelor's degree/HND in related discipline and 4 years’ experience in the engineering or maintenance trade with hospitality experience or related industry in similar role
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Communication Skills:
- Must possess the ability to effectively analyse problem and provide effective solutions and communicate same in a timely manner.
- Must be hardworking, flexible and willing to communicate effectively with executive Engineering Director Engineer and other members of his group
- The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visitIHG's Career Page
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about InterContinental HotelsSimilar Jobs
- Executive House Keepers at Fullmoon Hotels Nigeria
- Hotel General Manager at Mangalis Hotel Group
- Confectionery Role in the Hospitality Industry Via Afm Recruit
- Dispatch Riders at Spicy Dishes Nigeria
- Business Development Executives at a Quick Service Restaurant - Productive People Limited
- GM Operations Managers at Adexen Recruitment Agency
- Career Opportunities at Hilton Worldwide
- Laundry Attendants at Bolton White Hotels & Apartments