Talent Bureau specializes in recruitment and HR Development solutions across a wide range of industries and professions. We offer a specialized Recruitment Consulting service that ensures we attract the best talent on behalf of our clients.
Our clients rely on our expertise in recruiting, engaging and retaining the best talents. With access to a large database & network of active and passive experienced professionals within and outside Africa, we are committed to assisting you with achieving your people objectives whilst remaining competitive and overcoming your biggest HR challenges.
Purpose of the job:
To efficiently ensure that vessels continue to meet the standards and criteria required by Clients, Class and Statutory regulations.
- Ensures that all vessels are operated to the Company’s and client Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality Policies and Procedures.
- Ensures that all vessels meet the correct HSEQ standards.
- Ensures that all vessels are operational technically and always serviceable
- Attends to and supervises vessel dry-docking and port turnaround activities
- Plans, controls and executes all activities connected to class survey and certificate requirements and builds and maintains effective liaison with relevant authorities.
- Executes and coordinates ‘day-to-day’ Planned maintenance system (PMS) programmes and M&R activities (mainly preventive) of vessels to maintain the proper technical status of vessels and to enforce zero downtime.
- Acts as interface on all contractual, marine and nautical matters, and pro-actively develops Client relations.
- Through close cooperation with the Operations Manager; ensures that all reported deficiencies, non-conformities are cleared to prevent delay.
- Guides crew on board of the vessels to ensure that Companies standards are met and that work is done as per guidelines and specifications.
- Controls and monitors the progress for assigned vessels under charter and reports on the technical status of the vessels to the Operations Manager.
- Controls and monitors that assigned vessels are ready for use and certified.
- Investigates and analyses potential causes of defects, takes corrective and preventive actions, in consultation with the Operations Manager if and when required.
- Conducts diagnosis of engineering defects if any and undertakes remedial action
- Raises warranty work requests for vessels on the shipbuilder’s systems
- Liaises with shipbuilders’ in-country services and other equipment or maintenance suppliers to ensure prompt repairs and remedial action
- Actively promotes QHSE awareness and monitors performance in order to ensure safety standards and safe working practices: leads ‘by example.
- Assesses the progress of assigned vessels under charter
- Prepares and handles claims if applicable.
- Follows up on requests of Masters, Port Captains.
- Assists in maintaining, the OPS hard and soft filling system.
- Monitors HSE and ISM/ISPS of vessels, charter tonnage to ensure full compliance of vessel certifications according to statutory and Class requirements
- Executes Operational visits to the vessels, chartered tonnage.
- Executes OPS audits for charter tonnage.
- Builds and maintains a professional and effective working relationship with Senior ship staff.
- Assists in Budget planning and operates within assigned time-lines and budgets.
- Approve purchase-orders and invoices up to the agreed limits of authority
- 0 fleet downtime days
- 24hr response TAT
- • 1 min. client commendation pa.
- 100% critical parts availability
- 0 outstanding work orders per quarter
- 100% documentation compliance
• 100% training compliance
- Attends OPS meetings and meetings with HR, ISM, TD, and COM.
- Provides assistance as requested by other departments HR, HSE, TD, FIN, COM.
- Ensures that M&R activities are registered in the Maintenance Management System
- Updates and maintains the Critical Parts Inventory database and repair lists of assigned vessels based on outcome of surveys and running M&R activities, in order to provide a complete work scope for the planned M&R.
- Assists on New build, Tenders/Projects, stability calculations for fleet/projects, repairs.
- Recommends improvements to operational guidelines and policies to management
5. JOB CONTEXT:
The efficiency of the execution of this position is critical for ensuring that all vessels are operated in accordance with good marine practice, in compliance with Company and Client Procedures and Rules, and in accordance with all local and international laws and regulations.
6. COMMUNICATIONS & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
The Marine Technical Superintendent has a cooperative relationship with the HSE Manager, HR/Crewing Manager, Procurement department and Project Client.
7. FRAMEWORKS, BOUNDARIES & DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
Authorized to initiate analyses, assessments and studies of critical Marine Operation.
8. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Higher education with Bachelor or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Naval Architecture
- Internationally recognized shipping qualification.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ cognate experience in a related Technical Superintendent role
- Previous experience as a Fleet Superintendent in a Technical Department, or in a Senior Engineering/ Naval Architecture position in the Marine Industry is preferred.
- Applicants who have previously sailed at sea as Chief Engineer or a 2nd Engineer have equal chance.
- Knowledge of IMS systems with related documents and procedures.
- Must have knowledge of related responsibilities and skills, such as HSEQ, IMS Systems, OVID inspections, SOLAS - IMO, internal audits and vessel trails
- Client related inspections.
- Operational Intern audits of Vessel and Barges.
- Good knowledge of Navigation.
- Seamanship – stability/lashing securing/load discharge.
- Vessel trails including DP 1-2 trails.
- PMS – Planned maintenance system.
- Thorough understanding of the ISM Code
- Thorough understanding of Diesel Electric propulsion systems
- Knowledge of Shipbuilding and ship docking – drawings/work scopes.
- Knowledge of Class Certification.
- Knowledge of Port State Control.
- Proven ability to create procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven Performance and career management skills
- Proven Budget Management skills
- Proven Contract Management skills
- Proven Specification Writing/Management skills
- Thorough working knowledge of Class/Salvage and Regulatory legislation for Marine Operations;
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit Talent Bureau's Career Page