The MRC Unit, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council's largest establishment conducting laboratory, field-based and clinical research in a developing country. The Unit aims to improve the health of people living in low resource countries by contributing to the development, testing and safe adoption of interventions aimed at reducing the burden of morbidity and mortality from infectious diseases.
We are recruiting to fill the position below: Junior Consultant Clinician
Location: The Gambia
The Clinical Services Department at Fajara runs a 42-bed ward devoted to the care of acute paediatric and adult medical cases and a busy out patient department seeing over 50, 000 patients a year. The ward and OPD are staffed by well qualified nursing and auxiliary staff and there is a high staff to patient ratio. The service is supported by a GCLP and ISO 15189 accredited clinical laboratory offering a 24/7 service and an excellent radiology department with digital x-ray, contrast studies, ultrasound and echocardiography. An on-site endoscopy suite enables us to complete upper GI endoscopy and bronchoscopies.
More recently an Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) treatment centre has been set up, re y to respond to a local outbreak, and this is supported by on-site laboratory diagnostic facility for EVD. The department is currently developing an electronic medical records system for all patient encounters.
Malaria, tuberculosis, acute respiratory infections, HIV and non-communicable diseases such as asthma, nutritional disorders, renal diseases, cardiovascular disease and hepatocellular carcinoma are all very common. There are no facilities for managing either surgical or obstetric cases.
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Junior Consultant Clinician to be based at MRC Fajara.
- The post-holder will support the Head of Clinical Services who is responsible for the Units Clinical Services at the main station at Fajara and the upcountry Field Stations, and has overall responsibility for the health care of all MRC personnel (approximately 1000) and their immediate families.
- S/he will also work closely with the Head of Clinical Services in overseeing the out-patient and in-patient facilities, the development and training of clinically qualified and clinical support staff as well as in the training of students from the University of The Gambia Medical School.
- MB, BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- FWACP/MRCP or equivalent and relevant higher specialist training.
- Minimum of Three (3) years experience working at a Senior Registrar/Junior Consultant level in paediatric or adult medicine in high-quality teaching institutions.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proven experience of managing staff.
- Excellent record keeping skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team.
- The ability to deal sensitively with the patients.
- Computer literate, e.g. Word, Excel, Email.
- Interest in clinical research into the diseases of the tropics.
- Good understanding of medical audits.
- Willingness to work on the on-call rota on a regular basis.
- Willingness to work flexi-time.
- Being an advanced life support provider would be an advantage.
- The post will be in Grade 2 at a minimum gross salary of 116, 796 Dalasis per month. The net salary (after tax) will be 94, 907 Dalasis per month. This converts to a take home pay of approximately $2, 372 per month using the prevailing Dalasi/USD exchange rate.
- For displaced staff the package will include displacement allowances for family, flights, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD/Dalasi rate is only given as a guide using the prevailing exchange rate.
- You may elect for a proportion of your salary to be paid into a $ or £ account in The Gambia or overseas.
- The appointment is for 3 years extendable by mutual agreement and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should contact the "Human Resources Office" for an MRC Application form and a copy of the Job Description by an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed application forms, together with photocopies of qualification should be sent to:
Human Resources Office,
Vacancy for: Junior Database Developer,
MRC Unit, Fajara,
P.O. Box 273,
Telephone: 00220 4495442-6, 00220 4494072-9
E-mail: email@example.com Website: www.mrc.gm
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.