Save the Children has been working in Nigeria since 2001, especially in the Northern Nigeria. We work closely with the government in Nigeria at national, state and local level in improving the lives of children in Nigeria with interventions spanning from WASH, child health, advocacy, Campaign & community mobilisation, Nutrition, Education etc. Our activities in Lagos-State started in 2013 with Saving New-born Lives project in Agege, Ifako-Ijaiye, & Ikeja, Post 2015’ Right to Learn and School Health and Nutrition in Lagos Island. Stop Diarrhoea Initiatives project is an initiative supported by Reckitt Benckiser aimed at contributing to a two third reduction in diarrhoea-related deaths among children under the age of five in Somolu, Lagos State, Nigeria. It is a community based and community driven intervention.
Scope of the Training Consultancy
The training will focus on delivering high quality trainings for health workers on the National IMCI Manual. This training will be for 60 participants in two batches of thirty each and would span for six days each. The participants are as follows: Therefore, consultant will lead 4 other resource persons with support for Save the Children’s IYCF officer to conduct all the training.
Key responsibilities and Duties
Education and qualifications for the Lead facilitator
• Post -graduate degree in public health.
• At least 5 years’ experience in field work and coordination with international agencies and organisation in the field of child health intervention. • A Certified IMCI Trainer with past experience in leading IMCI trainings • Experience in provision of training is compulsory. • Experience and knowledge in conducting trainings or working in Lagos state is required.
Managerial and organizational Skills
• Good communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to facilitate training to staff with low capacity level and ensure the information has been transmitted. • Able to deliver quality with a multidisciplinary team of nutrition practitioners. • Good written and oral presentation skills. • Must be able to work in respect of deadlines. • Must be able to organize and plan training.
• Strong capacity for training, specifically in the domain of IMCI • Good understanding of IMCI programming in general. • Fluency in English is required; knowledge of Yoruba Language is an asset.
As a member of the Nigeria Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in a program of approximately $30 million each year through an organisation of more than 200 staff.
The Area Operations Manager will lead the transformation of Save the Children’s operations platform in designated States within North West in Nigeria to a new operating model, whilst also delivering Save the Children’s strategy and ensuring essential standards are met within the country. The Area Operations Manager is expected to lead on all aspects of managing large and or multiple field bases including budget development and management, agency coordination and representation, security, emergency preparedness and response, logistics and management of multiple teams. The post holder will play a key role in building capacity at field level, and in the effective scale up and management of Save the Children’s development and humanitarian programmes to increase impact and enable positive change for children. The post holder will build a strong team and actively build new partnerships with local CSOs for both humanitarian and development work. H/she will demonstrate strong leadership and ensure the State teams meet and exceed the SCI essential standards across all projects and programmes implemented at the State and area level.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE Significant management experience working in Northern Nigeria • Education to MSc/MA/MEng level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience • Previous experience of managing a team • Previous experience of project management, including multi sector programmes • Budget management experience including institutional donors
• Security management experience in insecure environments • Field level representation with key stakeholders and co-ordination with other NGOs/UN • Demonstrable experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability • Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports • Excellent communication skills • Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy • Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy • A high level of written and spoken English • The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances. • Commitment to the aims and principles of SC . In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support Desirable • Multi site management experience • ECHO and/or DFID/USAID programme management experience • Hausa speaker
Save The Children is looking to add a dynamic, organized proposal writer who is passionate about being a part of a global team of individuals committed to improving the lives of children in Nigeria. Successful candidates should have:
• Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate complex technical ideas in a clear and compelling way • The ability to synthesize inputs from multiple sources into one cohesive document with a unified voice • A talent for writing concisely and conceptualizing ideas for graphics that convey key information • Experience writing proposals for USAID, DFID, other bilaterals, foundations and/or corporations • Experience at an INGO and knowledge of some technical areas such as humanitarian assistance, health, nutrition, protection, education, livelihoods or water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) • Attention to detail and exceptional organization • Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with large teams and to communicate clearly
Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field required. Minimum 5 years overall experience, with 2 years in writing and developing proposals in response to solicitations from donors Exceptional conceptual, analytical, writing, and editing skills, including knack for synthesizing large amounts of information into persuasive, clear language and graphics. Experience working in Nigeria. Ability to consistently meet multiple deadlines.
All applicants should send a C.V., a list of reports or publications that are similar in nature, and a covering letter with a 500-word statement explaining their suitability for the task. In addition, candidates should send an electronic version of a relevant report written in English in which the candidate was a sole author.
Deadline for submissions is September 9th 2015.All communications relevant to this advert should be directed to: Nigeria.ProgramsVacancy@savethechildren.org