WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Vacancy Notice No: AF/RGO/15/TASR55
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Duration of contract: One year
Organization unit: AFRO Africa Regional Office (AF/RGO) / AF/IVE Immunization, Vaccines and Emergencies (AF/IVE)
Objective of the Programme
- The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to (a) the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of Duties
The specific functions to be performed by the incumbent include:
- Provide technical guidance to plan, implement and evaluate activities aimed at increasing and sustaining immunization coverage.
- Provide guidance in establishing a reliable immunization monitoring, supervision and information system that includes collection, analysis and use of vaccine preventable diseases immunization data.
- Establish a multi-tiered monitoring system of immunization performance that provides regular feedback to national authorities
- Advise and advocate for coordination of partner support including national commitment and ownership of the programme.
- Provide technical assistance in the development of proposals for introduction of new vaccines in the country as planned in the cMYP
- Provide technical expertise in implementing the GVAP 2016-2020
- Support Nigeria to introduce IPV into the routine immunization system, planned transition from tOPV to bOPV and ultimate withdrawal of OPV by 2018
- Support Zonal and State officers to build capacity of National and state WHO officers, including surge capacity hired for polio eradication on routine immunization
- Plan and support additional RI interventions that are being implemented in the country such as RI intensification project, LIDs, AVW, and MCHW.
- Support in preparing and dissemination on the various monthly feedback - routine immunization, supportive supervision, RI intensification and other projects
- Participate in monitoring various interventions, campaigns - polio and non-polio supplementary immunization activities
- Support activities aimed at strengthening partnership, advocacy as well as resource mobilization in support of improving performance of immunization activities.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative
- Essential: Degree in Medicine or Doctorate in Health Sciences.
- Desirable: Post graduate training in public health or epidemiology from recognized academic institution.
- Essential: Essential: At least seven years public health experience and two years field experience in planning, training, surveillance and implementation of EPI.
- Desirable: Technical expertise in public health, epidemiology, disease control and immunization. Experience in relevant geographic region.
Verification of Educational qualifications
- "In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually".
- Functional skills and knowledge:
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues at national and international levels;
- Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and provide feedback;
- Ability to establish and maintain partnership at local and international levels.;
- Ability to plan/organize international meetings;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and cultural environment.
Other Skills and Knowledge:
- Fully conversant in word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, epidemiological (Epiifo) and mapping software.
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Ensuring the effective use of resources;
- Creates an empowering and motivating environment;
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Annual salary: (Net of tax)
- USD 68294 at single rate
- USD 73338 with primary dependants
- USD 73338 with primary dependants Post Adjustment: 48.8 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.'
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should clickhere to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale