The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The Bank needs to have solid, reliable and efficient corporate information technology systems to sustain and drive its development efforts. The Corporate Information Technology Services Department (CIMM) is responsible for leading and managing the Information Technology functions within the Bank. The Bank is looking for a Director to head this department that forms part of the Vice Presidency for Corporate Services. In addition to leading the information technology function, the Director advises the Bank’s Management on the optimal use of Information Technology for improving the Institution’s operating efficiency and effectiveness.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Vice-President for Corporate Services, the Director will perform the following duties:
- Define and execute the Bank’s information technology strategy and program so as to effectively meet the needs of the institution;
- Plan, organize, direct and supervise the activities of the Department: set its goals and objectives, lead the team of the department, evaluate its performance, manage the staff potentials, and determine staff training needs;
- Identify information technology trends and assess their impact on the Bank’s resources and strategies/plans, and prepare the IT strategies/plans in the short and long terms, present and defend the strategies/plans to the Bank’s Management and Board of Directors;
- Lead ADB digitalization to develop and promote use of electronic and IT systems to transform current business practices.
- Understand the IT implications of changing operational needs, clearly and effectively explain complex concepts, as well as formulate and communicate the operational value of investments, expenditures and resources related to information technology;
- Design, submit and implement IT plans that address the various priority areas of the Bank, as well as pay special attention to better connectivity of field offices and compliance of the IT systems with the Bank’s business strategies;
- Lead teams across the Bank in the preparation of the capital and administrative budgets for information technology project and staff needs, and ensure proper execution and optimal use of resources, in compliance with the procedures and rules in force;
- Give opinions to the President, Vice-Presidents and Board of Directors on all matters relating to information systems;
- Ensure, with the assistance of the Security Unit, the implementation of policies and procedures to maintain an effective level of security for the Bank’s IT resources and systems;
- Ensure the efficient operation of the network, assist internal customers, see to their training and manage changes associated with technology trends, supervise the operation of devices for centralized data processing and office automation equipment, and take corrective measures, where necessary, to ensure continued information technology services to Bank staff;
- Ensure operation and development of IT systems that allow for continuity of Bank activities in emergency and disaster situations;
- Maintain effective working relations with other multilateral development banks (MDB), non-governmental organizations, and other international entities and institutions, as well as represent the ADB in committees and boards whose activities are related to information technology and work methodologies.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Engineering or DEA in computer science, information systems, business administration or in closely related disciplines;
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of extensive experience in positions of increasing responsibility in information technology, with at least five (5) years in a management position;
- Solid experience in planning and implementing IT strategy, as well as in formulating, applying, and assessing IT policies, programs and major projects; up-to-date knowledge of IT Industry and its trends;
- Exceptional capacity to engage in strategic thinking, as well as display analytical perception in planning and implementing IT strategies and IT programs;
- Strong ability in leading teams with different skills, culture, mobilizing them, and deciding and determining to produce results for the proper implementation of IT programs;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively work with staff at all levels, including Senior Management, executives and colleagues of lower rank, as well as with various committees dealing with information technology;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English or French, and good practical knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
The African Development Bank has retained Russell Reynolds Associates to assist with this appointment. To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to email@example.com Please quote the role title in the subject heading of the email.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.