The UNFPA Nigeria Country Programme is supported through the Country Office in Abuja and Decentralized Offices in Kaduna and Cross River and a Liaison Office in Lagos. The Decentralized Office based in Kaduna provides direct programme and/or humanitarian support to Adamawa, Borno, Gombe, Kebbi, Sokoto, Yobe and Kaduna States with indirect support to other Northern States in the areas of Maternal Health (MH), Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) (including adolescent SRH (ASRH), gender-based violence (GBV) including in the humanitarian context, and data collection and use to support the programme areas. The Country Office plays the coordination role and assumes an oversight function; it is also responsible for resource mobilization, strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation.
The UN is consolidating and expanding its work and presence in Gombe through the “Delivering as One” (DaO) initiative of which Nigeria is a self-starter country. The objective of DaO is to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the UN as a means of achieving greater development results by working better together, and being more focused, coherent and strategic in its interventions. UNFPA will be the lead agency to coordinate the DaO in Gombe State.
To this end, and to strengthen implementation and ensure UNFPA maintains its leadership role in the area of SRH, ASRH, GBV prevention and response, youth issues, and data management and use, including at the sub-national levels, the Country Office is seeking to fill the post of:
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: 11 months with possibility of extension
- The Programme Analyst, Coordination/Humanitarian will provide strong coordination support as well as programme development and implementation, strategic analysis and results-based planning in both development and humanitarian contexts.
- He/she will also will also paly a resource mobilization role.
- The Programme Analyst, Coordination/Humanitarian will directly report to the Head of the Kaduna Decentralized Office and will work in close collaboration with the Deputy Representative.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Programme Analyst, Coordination/Humanitarian will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results on UNFPA humanitarian and development programming areas, including on RH, GBV, and data for development.
- Support the preparation and oversee implementation of the UN joint work plan, including implementation of the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), in Gombe.
- Support Government and NGO partners on the design, planning and implementation of principled humanitarian action in line with UNFPA mandate and humanitarian strategy, and international frameworks.
- Participate and support the preparations for forums and events on issues related to UNFPA work plan and UN joint activities.
- Participate actively in the Inter-agency management of
- Assist in the development of innovative funding and resource mobilization strategies, including proposal writing.
- Regularly monitor emerging developments and analyze impact on the humanitarian and development needs of the State.
- Communicate and share the findings and recommendations of field visits with head of Kaduna Decentralized Office, UNFPA Representative, Deputy Representative, and the Humanitarian Coordination Team, and monitor implementation of recommendations.
- Prepare situation reports and contribute to analytical reports, background papers, case studies, presentations, etc. highlighting social, political, economic, environmental and other relevant factors affecting the overall humanitarian situation.
- Lead and participate in advocacy and training activities with partners (Government, UN, NGOs) to address RH, HIV/AIDS, GBV, protection and gender mainstreaming in humanitarian response.
- Ensure regular information sharing by the Country Office through appropriate knowledge sharing networks with the humanitarian partners and by documenting the best practices and approaches implemented by the Country Office.
- Represent UNFPA at different emergency-related sector meetings, task forces and other relevant fora provide timely feedback on outcomes.
- Establish and maintain contacts with the relevant State Government authorities, other UN Agencies, national and international NGOs, donor organizations, State coordination structures etc.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Senior Management Team.
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development management
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Leveraging the resources of State government and partners
- Building strategic alliances and partners
- Resource Mobilization
- Values: Integrity/Commitment to UNFPA mandate
- Knowledge sharing and continuous learning
- Valuing diversity
- Managing relationships: working in teams, communicating information and ideas; conflict and self-management
- Working with people: Empowerment/Developing People/Performance Management
- Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Analytical and Strategic Thinking
- Results Orientation/Commitment to Excellence
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making
Required Skills and Experience
The Ideal Candidate should:
- Be a Nigerian National.
- Have a Master's degree in Public Health, Humanitarian Assistance, Demography and/or other related social science field.
- Have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in public health, humanitarian affairs, emergency relief management, or other related areas.
- Have hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Have knowledge about the UN systems would be an advantage.
- Be experienced in working with government institutions, NGOs and Donor organizations.
- Be familiar with issues on population, reproductive health, gender and youth.
- Have a strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English.
- Be fluent in spoken and written Hausa.
- Have ability to work efficiently under pressure.
- Have excellent communication and human relation skills.
- Have proficiency in current MS Office software including Word and Excel applications is mandatory.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale