The Legal Counsel will provide legal support to ARM business & support units in connection with a diverse range of corporate and commercial transactions including project finance, corporate finance, real estate, mergers & acquisitions, private equity transactions etc.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing legal advice for corporate/project finance transactions.
- Prepare and review proposals/acquisitions/mergers; draft/negotiate commercial agreements.
- Proffer legal advice on commercial transaction/business issues as they arise.
- Responsible for corporate trust clients and ensuring business relationships with these clients are well managed.
- Provide support for estate planning and administration by developing and implementing commercial trust mandates.
- Work closely with business units and senior management in providing hands on support in the area of legal and regulatory advisory services.
- Ensure all statutory filings (ARM, ARMT, ARM-DF, ARM-AGF) are carried out in a timely manner. (i.e. filing of annual returns, renewal of registration with SEC etc.)
- Ensure adherence to framework for conducting/driving due diligence and compliance issues.
- Conduct research on general legal issues affecting the company’s business operations (including Trust issues) and provision of legal opinion;
- Liaise with external lawyers, SEC, CAC etc on regulatory and transactional matters
- Contribute to the promotion of corporate governance (ethical/best practices) within the company.
- Provide/ serve as an effective backup to the company secretariat.
- Assist in the development and building of an effective work team by supervising surbodinates within the unit.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Head, Legal.
Minimum Qualifications & Attributes
- LLB; BL; LLM
- Minimum of 7 years post call experience in commercial and corporate legal practice;
- Good knowledge of laws regulating operations of businesses in the country; particularly the finacial services sector
- Strong relationship management, negotiation and marketing skills.
- Understanding of local and international practices in the Financial Services industry.