MTN Nigeria is part of the MTN Group, Africa's leading cellular telecommunications company. On May 16, 2001, MTN became the first GSM network to make a call following the globally lauded Nigerian GSM auction conducted by the Nigerian Communications Commission earlier in the year. Thereafter the company launched full commercial operations beginning with Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt.
• Review legal cases, petitions and internal matters requiring legal input /perspective, consult with all relevant parties, advise on case/petition/legal related matter, provide recommendation on course of action and effectively take appropriate and approved action in accordance with the rules and regulations of MTNN.
• Draft legal agreements and review all relevant documentation supporting contracts for authenticity and validity, advising on company contracts relating to supplier agreements.
• Administer controls to ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and effectively integrate ethics, compliance and preventive law efforts, ensuring MTNN activities are compliant with laid down laws and governing regulations/statutes.
• Settle legal issues between MTNN and 3rd parties, assisting in managing liquidations and disputes.
• Conduct proactive prevention of litigation, ensuring legal processes and services are effective and efficient in line with defined and approved design and rules.
• Carry out legal (administrative) services work including liaison/correspondence with external bodies and organizations, conducting due diligence in structuring of deals relating to commercial transactions.
• Review the performance of individual team members and complete appraisals in accordance with the employee performance appraisal procedures and time schedules.
• Identify training requirements of team members, develop program to address knowledge gaps and to enrich knowledge repository within the department.
• Travel – local and international
• 8 years of litigation and commercial experience.
• Experience in handling and negotiating funding
• In depth experience and understanding of the Nigerian framework
• Telecommunications Regulatory Master Class
• Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution Initiatives
• Labour and Pension Laws and Regulations
• Effective Drafting and Negotiation Skills for Lawyers in Corporate entities
• Management of External Solicitors and Litigation
• Effective Debt Recovery and Debt Management Strategies
• Finance for Lawyers
• Copyright Laws and Intellectual Property Rights
• Effective Due Diligence and Legal Investigations
• Extract value from what we already have through cross-functional/and or regionally focused activities such as: multi-functional business optimisation, contracts review and negotiation, cross-functional capital/budget efficiency projects etc.
• Innovation – identifying and taking advantage of new cross-functional business opportunities, e.g., through nurturing new business opportunities, products launched, product/process innovation, structural changes, etc.
• Maintain leadership in the ICT/Digital industry by influencing state legislations & policies, participating in state level industry think-tanks, building & extending national B-2-B and similar relationships, etc.
• Enhance/expand MTN’s role in the larger national and ecosystem through participation as thought leader, executing regional/local CSR projects, involvement in (inter)industry non-ICT policy & think-tank activities, data analysis, reviews, etc.
• Cross-functional people leadership activities: coaching, staff development and motivation, employee networks mentorship/support, cross-division employee engagement projects, faculty roles, talent mentorship, etc.
• Generic activities necessary for positive business outcomes such as: supporting recruitment, thought leadership/execution as internal (interview/disciplinary) panel member, influencing next level leaders (e.g., at Excom) etc
• Facilitate and guide the processes for identification and justification of the information technology requirements of the various business sectors and co-ordinate the initiation of project proposals for meeting the requirements.
• Ensure the strategic policy development processes are in accordance with norms and standards of MTN Group.
• Ensure that corporate governance is implemented and adhered to within the IS division.
• Direct the development of optimal and integrated IS plans for MTNN, consolidating various IT business plans and ensuring plans have clear indications of expected value contributions and in line with corporate vision and mission.
• Develop framework, policies, standards, methodologies and procedures to guide IS operations and to enable the division to provide high quality services to customers and attain set goals and objectives of MTNN.
• Lead the development comprehensive IT and data architecture that will balance the business, financial and technical demands both now and into the future and serves as a map.
• Facilitate the coordination of the various aspects related to Information Systems Planning, such as the plan quality, the stakeholder’s requirements, plan outcome, etc.
• Regularly monitor, review and report progress against the integrated IS plan and conduct business risk analysis, review technical audits and project post-implementation reviews.
• Review risk for IS systems, develop IS Risk Management Strategy and ensure the deployment of risk mitigating action plans and business continuity of MTNN operations.
• Create an ‘IS blueprint’ that addresses business needs and takes into consideration the Data Architecture, Systems Architecture and Computer Architecture of the organization and ensure that the business has a reliable 5 year IT roadmap covering potential industry developments as well as ISD initiatives.
• Provide technical leadership /advice in the formulation and development of enterprise framework, policies/guidelines and ensure compliance of operations with MTN policies and procedures.
• Lead and collaborate with other business units in the development of business models for use in MTNN and develop measurement strategies to support ongoing strategy development and project optimization
• Normal MTNN working conditions
• May be required to work extended hours
• Occasional local and international travel often at short notice
12 years working experience including;
• Senior management track record of 5 years or more in strategy formulation, technology forecasting, enterprise architecture, network economics, project management, operations management, strategic planning and quality control management.
• 3 years’ experience in relevant industry/sector
• Experience working in a global/multinational enterprise (understanding emerging markets advantageous)
• Worked across diverse cultures and geographies
• Information Architecture
• ITIL Foundation Certificate, Practitioner in Availability and Capacity Management will be an added advantage
• performance Testing execution and overall methodologies
• TOGAF, COBIT, Agile
• Self training on Digital and mobility frameworks
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.