If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM has a proactive recruitment policy to increase the representation of nationals of non- represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Project Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the management of the DTM database.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and administer database information systems to gather and process information on internally displaced persons (IDPs). Conduct key information collection activities, including IDPs location assessments, registrations, and other ad hoc survey and profiling activities.
- Support the DTM Program Officer in developing data collection tools, databases, statistical reports, and maps.
- Support the DTM Project Officer in the development of a geographical information system (GIS) system for the production of database-related maps.
- Provide user support, guidelines, training materials, and training sessions on the deployment, use, operation, and maintenance of databases and data collection systems to government authorities, programme staff, and implementing partners.
- Prepare and develop analytical tools and reports for displacement trends, needs assessments and programme activities using the programme’s various databases.
- Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Recruit, manage and train, as needed, database assistants and data entry clerks to ensure the quality of data entered into IOM databases.
- Secure consistent availability of computer services. Support maintenance of and training on all technologies used for information database systems.
- Visit field offices to provide technical support to the usage of information and database systems. Design databases and auxiliary information sub-systems for existing or new programmes and projects.
- Support the reporting and analysis of data for donors and other stakeholders. Ensure data consistency and provide statistical information and mapping.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Anticipates and prepares response to changing IT needs of the relevant organizational unit;
- Delivers optimal IT solution within defined resource parameters;
- Correctly applies knowledge of specialized IT disciplines.
Emergency and Crisis
- Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments;
- Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures;
- Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors;
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners;
- Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Database Management, Software Development, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the administration of multi-site IT infrastructure;
- Experience in the development and implementation of population database systems (e.g. migrant registration, censuses, household surveys);
- Experience in the development of database information systems;
- Working experience with the following tools: Access, VB.NET, C++. NET framework, Java, ASP.NET, SQL or Oracle (MCP certification in any of these products is an advantage).
Fluency in English is required.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by August 07, 2015 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly filled in and submitted with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application in your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 24.07.2015 to 07.08.2015
Requisition: SVN 2015/78 (P) - Database Officer (P2) - Abuja, Nigeria (54660733) Released
Posting: SVN 2015/78 (P) - Database Officer (P2) - Abuja, Nigeria (54660736) Released