Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
This role will lead or coordinate the set up or scale up of emergency response logistics functions and responsibilities and may supervise and manage logistics staff, under the supervision of the HPM. The role will include logistics support either to a medium sized country programme or to a particular emergency response or field base within a larger response. As such, the role may include remote management, management of remote field bases or direct line management of a particular logistics function.
· Coordination of programme logistics; implement the country logistics policies and procedures for the management of the supply chain, including one or more of the following areas; procurement, transport and distribution, warehousing and stock management, management of vehicle fleets, communication systems, and assets
· Ensure that Save the Children minimum standards of logistics procedures and country policies are implemented and adhered to in the area of responsibility, supporting relevant staff as required
· Manage and support logistics staff including ensuring clear division of responsibilities, clear objectives, and management of performance
· Ensure that procedures within the specific area of responsibility meet Save the Children and donor regulations, whether that be a within a given technical sector in logistics, or a specific field base
· Provide support to senior logistics staff on areas relating to budgets, technical aspects of the programme, and implementation mechanisms as required
· Provide logistics training and capacity building as required
· The post-holder will comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
· Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles
· Participates in the development of an organisational response based on an understanding of the contexts
Achieving results effectively
· Accountability – ensure efficient and transparent use of resources in line with Save the Children policies and procedures
· Addresses difficult situations and makes tough decisions confidently and calmly
· Maintains focus on delivery of timely and appropriate results using available resources; identifies and acts on issues and problems in area of responsibility
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships
· Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals, and monitors progress and performance
Operating safely and securely
· Identifies and communicates risk and threats and minimises these for oneself and the agency
· Takes measures to do no harm and to minimise risks for partners and the communities
· Reduces vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organisation
Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment:
· Keeps oneself emotionally stable when helping others
· Remains effective and retains perspective in the face of difficult or demanding situations
· Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
· Plans prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
· Takes responsibility for own work and impact of actions
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others
· Delivers results and always acts with the beneficiaries in mind
· Anticipates current and future needs
· Tailors communication style to certain audiences
· Demonstrates approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Education-A degree in logistics or an equivalent field
· Prior experience in logistics management in the NGO sector, within complex/large scale country programmes and in emergency response/humanitarian environments
· Proven experience in all technical areas of logistics operations including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing and stock management, fleet management, asset management, communications, and security
· Experience of working in remote field bases with limited infrastructure
· Experiencing in managing and supervising others in logistics
· Ability to synthesise and analyse information, and make clear, informed decisions
· Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
· Strong planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
· Cultural awareness, with strong written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills in English and French
· Technical experience/training in specific areas of logistics eg fleet mechanics, IT/communications networks
· Technical experience/knowledge in specific types of humanitarian intervention eg Health, WASH, Food Security
Kindly send your C.V. and covering letter on or before 31st July, 2015 explaining why you are suitable toNigeria.HumanitarianVacancy@savethechildren.org State position clearly in the subject field as applications without appropriate subject will be disqualified. Also, applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.